Bart Gabler is the chief information officer and director of pricing and legal project management at K&L Gates. He is responsible for the firm’s global technology, security, research, practice support, pricing and legal project management services with a keen focus on developing creative solutions to address the business challenges of the firm and our clients. Bart is a creative problem solver who works closely with our clients, lawyers and paraprofessionals to design, develop and implement solutions that enable the efficient, effective, and competitive delivery of legal services. Bart has global responsibilities to oversee the development of creative fee arrangements to meet client business objectives and support the management of the work in a timely, efficient manner aligned with client expectations. He manages a team of professionals that drive technological, analytical, matter management, and process improvement enhancements across the firm. Bart is a management team member that works collaboratively with cross functional teams that includes K&L Gates lawyers on developing, negotiating and implementing strategic legal solutions with competitive pricing arrangements. He works directly with client service teams on legal service delivery and pricing related issues, including helping to identify client objectives, business constraints, and pricing preferences to ensure seamless client service. In addition, Bart is responsible for developing, implementing and coordinating the firmwide application development platform, ensuring appropriate training of lawyers and professional staff to use these tools, and implementing best practices. He coordinates across K&L Gates’ global platform of offices and practices to implement processes and tools to assist in matter delivery, management and monitoring to help ensure effective and efficient client service.
Bart currently serves on the advisory board for the Serene Leadership Institute and has lectured on leadership, project management and problem solving topics.
With over 15 years of professional experience, Bart previously was a consultant with McKinsey & Company, where he served in both a client service and practice management capacity. His experience cuts across strategic planning and growth strategies to organizational transformation and effectiveness. He was also involved in the assessment of business requirements and staffing needs for project planning. Prior to McKinsey & Company, Bart was a strategy consultant with PricewaterhouseCoopers, where he conducted competitor analyses, evaluated operational strategies, and assessed current state business capabilities.
Bart is a long standing volunteer on the Hidden Valley Ski Patrol and is both a Certified Patroller and member of the National Ski Patrol’s Eastern Division Ski and Toboggan Training Staff.
- Board of Trustees, Carlow University
- Advisory Board Member, Serene Leadership Institute
- Member, Jack Heinz Society of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
- President, Hidden Valley Ski Patrol (non-profit)
- Board of Directors, Fox Chapel Youth Soccer
- Graduate, Leadership Pittsburgh
- Reunions Co-Chair, University of Virginia Alumni Association
- Member, Legal Marketing Association
- Co-Presenter, “Destination 2018: A more Profitable and Efficient Law Firm,” LMA Client Value Education Session (March 2018)
- Panelist, “Integrating Pricing into New Business Intake,” Praxis Conference (February 2018)
- Panelist, “Law Firm Profitability, Pricing and Compensation,” Sandpiper Partners Briefing (December 2017)
- Co-Presenter, “The First 100 Days: Your Pricing and LPM Journey,” P3 Practice Innovation Conference (May 2017)
- Panelist, “Case Study: Successful Partner Adoption of Planning and Monitoring,” P3 Practice Innovation Conference (May 2017)
- Panelist, “Leveraging Data to Optimize the Value of Legal Services,” P3 Practice Innovation Conference (May 2017)
- Co-Presenter, “Putting Together the Puzzle,” Praxis Conference (March 2017)
- Co-Presenter, “How to Design an Effective Pricing & Project Management Team,” P3 Practice Innovation Conference (May 2016)
- Guest Lecturer “Setting Goals and Objectives,” Management Training Curriculum (May 2016)
- Co-Presenter, “Right Brain + Left Brain: Combining Communications and Analytics in a Pricing Strategy Rollout,” P3 Practice Innovation Conference (June 2015)
- Guest lecturer, Serene Leadership Institute Summer Program, California University of PA (June 2012 and June 2013)
- Guest lecturer for MBA students, “Cases in Business Strategy,” SC Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University (August 2009, September 2010, August 2011, and September 2012)
- Board presentation, Organizational Effectiveness Assessment (August 2010)
- Guest lecturer, Executive MBA students on “Management Consulting,” Joseph M. Katz Graduate Business School at the University of Pittsburgh (July 2009)
- Board presentation, Multi-format Strategic Organizational Design (April 2009)
- Board presentation, Strategic Cost Structure for Corporate Support Functions (February 2009)
- Guest lecturer, MBA level “Projects Course” on consulting processes and problem solving, Joseph M. Katz Graduate Business School at the University of Pittsburgh (various sessions 2008-2011)
- Board presentation, Organizational Transformation and Change Management (December 2008)
- Co-Author, “Redefining Matter Management: A Best Practice Guide to Improving Processes and Profitability,” Ark Group (2018)
- Co-Author, “Practical Innovations in Legal Pricing,” Ark Group (2017)