Barthélemy Cousin is a partner in charge of the Litigation and Insurance department at the K&L Gates Paris office.
Commercial Litigation practitioner Barthélemy has been assisting and advising numerous French and foreign companies in the insurance and reinsurance coverage litigation sector for over 25 years. He has always worked in the largest international firms.
For fifteen years now, he has resolutely chosen to position himself in the defense of the interests of policyholders against insurers or in the defense of the interests of reinsurers against insurers.
After having successfully completed numerous cases in terms of financial lines, construction and civil liability, he is now in charge of around ten cases involving the mobilization of business interruption coverage and their extensions. (constraints, epidemics, lack of customers or suppliers).
Barthélemy is also a member of AMRAE and AIDA. Barthélemy has also been a member of the Paris Bar since 1992.
Barthélemy has always paid particular attention to teamwork, particularly in the context of joint mandates with other law firms, or joint strategies coordinated with the advice of other parties. The international dimension of his practice has also frequently led Barthélemy to work with local correspondents, both in the United States and in French-speaking Africa.
Prior to joining the firm, Barthélemy served as a partner at a global law firm where he created and led its renowned insurance coverage and reinsurance litigation practice.
Previously, Barthélemy was a partner at an international law firm where he developed a recognized practice in insurance law litigation. There, he advised on international commercial disputes, particularly on insurance, energy, and transportation matters.
He has years of litigation experience in Africa, and has been involved in several major disputes before commercial, employment, and civil courts in Africa.
- Recognized in Best Lawyers since 2018 for work in Insurance Law
- Ranked in Legal 500 2022 - France for the following practices :
- Dispute Resolution: Commercial Litigation
- Dispute Resolution : International Arbitration
- Chambers Europe 2021 – France - Insurance Individual - Band 4
- Barthélemy Cousin left Stephenson Harwood and joined K&L Gates in January 2021. He advises insurance companies and policyholders active in the shipping and banking sectors on litigation mandates. Clients praise his "experience and knowledge of insurance law."
- Ranked in the magazine Décideurs - Leaders League in the following categories:
- “Industrial risks & liability litigation - Regulatory assurance / reassurance”
- “Industrial risks & liability litigation - Claims and insurance litigation”
- “Restructuring & Insolvency - Occasional and regular stakeholders”
- “Africa Desk - International arbitration and litigation”
- “Africa Desk - Natural resources and renewable energies”
- “Promotion & Construction - Construction litigation (including insurance)”
- “Covid-19 ordinances and international contracts: “supplementary police laws”?” La Semaine Juridique, July 2020;
- “Covid-19: CFOs, beware of the coverage of 'inexcusable fault' in your insurance policies”, DAF Magazine, April 2020;