Chris Graff is an internationally recognized intellectual property lawyer, whose practice focuses on brand management and protection, trademarks, domain names, social media, and copyrights. For more than two decades, Chris has helped protect some of the world’s leading brands in multiple jurisdictions around the world. He has been repeatedly recognized for his work counseling clients on brand expansion, international protection, and worldwide enforcement strategies. As one international publication noted, “Chris Graff garners worldwide notice for his exemplary protection programmes,” and that “He and his team’s understanding of foreign jurisdictions is a genuinely rare quality and speaks volumes about their expertise, experience and high standards.”
Chris has broad experience helping clients in all areas of trademark law, from clearance and prosecution, to policing and enforcement. He also provides strategic management of global trademark portfolios for several companies in a variety of industries, including retail services, food and beverage, consumer products, finance, technology, and medical devices. Chris has also represented clients in hundreds of contested matters in the US and internationally. “That he acts for some of the highest-profile brand owners tells you all you need to know. He simply has an immense depth of experience.” WTR 1000 (2015)
Christopher previously served at a United States law firm that focuses in the fields of trademark, copyright, and unfair competition law. Through this role, Christopher practiced in the areas of trademarks, false advertising, unfair competition, domain name privacy, and copyrights. He has experience in advising in these facets, as well as with regard to trademark selection, prosecution, enforcement, licensing, and global portfolio management.
- Chambers USA (2021)
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Trademark Lawyers, Law Business Research Ltd. (2019-2021); “Global Leader: IP-Trademarks” (2021)
- Listed in the World's Leading Trademark Professionals by World Trademark Review 1000 (2013-2023)
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars (2017-2021)
- Euromoney’s Intellectual Property Expert Guide, Trademarks (2013-2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America Trademark Law, by Woodward/White, Inc. (2013-2022)
- International Law Office's Client Choice Award (2014)
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated*
- * AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of MH SUB I, LLC, used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- U.S. Trademark Office Practice Committee, Secretary (2016-2017)
- International Trademark Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Litigation and Intellectual Property Law Sections
- Austin Bar Association
- "You are a Trademark Badass; Tips & Tricks for Trademarking like a Rock Star," State Bar of Texas, Advanced Paralegal Seminar (September 2019)
- "Trademark Bullying: Catchy Phrase or Valid Concern?" Austin Intellectual Property Law Association (June 2011)
- "Intellectual Property,” University of Texas at Austin, Executive MBA Program (Summer 2003)
- "IP Issues Regarding the Internet,” State Bar of Texas, Intellectual Property Law Section Annual Meeting (Spring 2003)
- "How to Deal with Pirates, Counterfeiters and Gray Marketeers," 11th Annual Advanced International Law Institute, Dallas (UT Law CLE, 1999)
- “When it comes to the development and execution of innovative filing strategies, Graff leads the way; his brands expertise is extremely refined and is underpinned by unassailable trademark, advertising and competition law knowledge.” World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000 (2020).
- "He deeply appreciates our culture and can break down complicated IP issues in an easily comprehensible way. His response time is so exemplary that all our other outside counsel pale in comparison.” World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000 (2018).
- “He constantly has a total grasp of the situation and is able to make incisive and strategic suggestions, always with the client's best commercial interests at heart." World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000 (2018).
- "He is extraordinarily responsive and always tailors his approach to a client's unique business culture and his sound legal advice is-provided in an easily digestible manner.” World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000 (2017).
- "That he acts for some of the highest-profile brand owners tells you all you need to know. He simply has an immense depth of experience." World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000 (2015).
- "Nominative Use and Fair Use of Trademarks on the Internet,” State Bar of Texas, Intellectual Property Law Section CLE (Houston, 2003)
- "Insurance Coverage of Trademark Infringement Claims: The Contradiction Among the Courts, and the Ramifications for Trademark Attorneys," The Trademark Reporter, Vol. 89, No. 6 (November-December 1999)
- "Trademark Law and Gray Market Goods: An Overview," 11th Annual Advanced International Law Institute (UT Law CLE, 1999)