Edward Yao is counsel in the firm's Beijing office. His practice includes various intellectual property-related matters as well as dispute resolution, litigation and arbitration.
He focuses his practice on IP prosecution, protection, and enforcement, anti-counterfeiting, litigation, arbitration, dispute resolution, IP transactions and licensing programs in China. He specializes in developing and implementing comprehensive and effective IP and litigation strategies for multinational corporations.
He has represented some of the world's most famous brands (including the Top 10 brands) in a broad range of industries, including but not limited to technology, online gaming, financial services, wine, education, clothing and luxury goods, pharmaceutical, hospitality, food, and restaurant services. He handled a number of high-profile cases in China, including obtaining the title of a well-known trademark.
He has been ranked in Legal 500 Asia Pacific and World Trademark Review 1000. One source describes him that "At K&L Gates, IP all-rounder Edward Yao is a polished IP disputes expert and effective contract negotiator. He has earned the trust of some of the world’s most well-known names in a wide range of industry sectors.”
Prior to joining the firm, Edward was an experienced litigator and head of the trademark group at a Chinese law firm based in Beijing. In addition, he was a litigator and trademark attorney at two Chinese law firms.
- Individually ranked by the World Trademark Review 1000 for Enforcement and Litigation in China and SARs: China: Foreign (2023)
- Listed in the World's Leading Trademark Professionals by World Trademark Review 1000, 2023
- Rising Star, Intellectual Property: Foreign Firms: China, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023
- Rising Star, Intellectual Property: Foreign Firms: China, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
- IP applications and litigations, Sinopec Group, August 2019
- 337 Proceeding in US, Beijing Zhongguancun Forum for Middle and Small-sized Enterprises, November 2017
- Market Supervision Bureau of Chaoyang District, Beijing, September 2017
- Patent litigation and 337 proceedings in US, CRRC Corporation Limited, May 2017
- Trademark enforcement and recognition of well-known trademark under new Trademark Law in China
- "How to Enforce Intellectual Property Rights in China," Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, 34 (3), March 2022
- Border Patrol, Ragtrader, June 2019
- “Risks prevention of trademark license in China,” Asian Legal Business, December 2014
- “Anti-dilution strategy of brand for famous brand owner,” China Business Law Journal, July 2014