James Durnall is a partner in our Energy, Infrastructure and Resources practice area in Sydney.
As a leading lawyer advising the renewable energy industry in Australia and the UK for more than a decade, he has built a reputation for his work on complex and innovative transactions in clean and renewable energy.
James advises on all aspects of utility scale solar, onshore wind, waste-to-energy, biomass (including gasification, combined heat & power and anaerobic digestion), battery storage and innovative energy efficiency projects. His range of legal specialism includes project development, joint development and financing arrangements, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, connection arrangements and energy regulatory matters, corporate and retail PPAs, project / structured finance, construction and O&M, asset management and portfolio management.
His blend of experience working in both private practice and in-house enables him to advise a wide base of clients, including developers, energy and infrastructure funds, equity investors, EPC and O&M contractors, off-takers and asset managers in Australia and overseas.
James also has a wealth of experience in private equity, venture capital and investment funds transactions across the full investment lifecycle.
James is a dual qualified solicitor admitted to practice in both England and Australia and his practice covers both domestic and cross-border projects.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, James was a partner at an international law firm in the Corporate & Project Finance and Energy & Utilities Groups in Sydney. He has also worked in private equity in London as a Director of Legal & Commercial for UK-based Ingenious Infrastructure and Golden Square Energy Limited. Before that, he was Senior Legal Counsel in project finance for a French aerospace, defence and security multinational in London and worked in private practice for leading international law firms in London and Australia.
- Recognised by The Legal 500 Green Guide: Asia Pacific as a Recommended Lawyer in Australia, 2024
- Recognised by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific as a Recommended Lawyer for Corporate and M&A, 2023
- Recognised by Doyle's Guide as a Leading Energy & Resources Lawyer in New South Wales, 2022-2023
- "Sydney-based James Durnall is a key contact in the firm’s energy, infrastructure and resources practice, and stands out for his work on clean and renewable energy transactions." (The Legal 500 Green Guide: Asia Pacific, 2024)
- “James Durnall is a relentless and collaborative partner who gives strong advice and counsel when required.” (The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2023)