Jason Opperman is a recognised legal practitioner in the areas of insolvency and workouts. He has more than 20 years' experience acting for and advising Australia's largest banks and financial institutions on a range of insolvency, turnaround and securities enforcement matters. Jason also acts for insolvency practitioners involved in formal appointments, contentious litigation and informal workouts.
Jason has legal expertise and commercial experience across a range of industries, including real estate and construction, retail, manufacturing, automotive, information technology and communications, rural, aviation, hotel, franchising, logistics and transport, mining and mining services, health care and pharmaceutical industries. He has acted on a number of large complex and high profile corporate collapses and is well known by his clients for his strategic advice and ability to achieve exceptional outcomes.
Jason is also an experienced litigator and has been involved in a variety of disputes and fraud related matters, including urgent court applications to secure and recover assets on behalf of banking and corporate clients. He has successfully resolved many banker and customer disputes and other contentious cases through alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, including mediations such as under the Farm Debt Mediation Act 1994.
Prior to joining the firm, Jason was the practice leader of the banking, restructuring and insolvency practice and a board member at an Australian commercial law firm. He also previously worked in-house at a major Australian bank.
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed for Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2021-present)
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed for Litigation (2021-present)
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed for Alternative Dispute Resolution (2020-present)
- Chambers Asia-Pacific, ranked individual in Restructuring/Insolvency - Australia (2017-present): Clients find: "He is an extremely measured and sophisticated operator. He's a calming influence, with a very clear and well-reasoned approach to complex or volatile situations."
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, recognised for Restructuring and Insolvency (2017, 2018 and 2019)
- Doyle's Guide, recommended New South Wales Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyer (2016 - 2019)
- Australasian Lawyer's, recognised in the Hot List 2016
- Australasian Lawyer, recognised for his work on the Atlas Iron Restructure, awarded "Restructuring and Insolvency Deal of the Year" in 2016
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA) member
- International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals (INSOL) member
- Banking and Financial Services Law Association (BFSLA) member
- Law Society of New South Wales member
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA) member
Jason regularly presents to clients and at industry based conferences on insolvency, security enforcement and litigation topics.