John Kelly is a partner in the complex commercial litigation and dispute practice with more than 30 years experience. His practice focusses on large scale litigation which extends to all Australian superior courts. John has significant experience in dispute resolution by arbitration and other alternate dispute resolution procedures.
John has advised major clients on contractual disputes, class actions, tort claims, public inquiries and prosecutions by government and regulatory authorities. He has worked extensively in the energy and resources industry.
John has broad experience in advising clients in relation to major corporate incidents, particularly in the energy and resources industry. In these matters, he regularly advises on strategic issues surrounding incident response including internal incident investigation processes, responses to government investigations, prosecutions, the retention of experts and the potential civil claims that may arise from an incident.
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Alternative Dispute Resolution (2013 – present)
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Litigation (2013 – present)
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, recognised in Dispute Resolution (2018 – 2019 and 2021)
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, recognised in Regulatory Compliance and Investigations (2020)
- Law Institute of Victoria member
- Resources and Energy Law Association (AMPLA) member
- Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) member