Jonathan Chan is a senior associate in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution group. He has experience in a range of disputes including contract, banking, financial regulatory, technology, tort, professional negligence, insurance and arbitration matters. He provides advice to a number of major Australian banks, Australian and foreign companies, state government agencies, insurers and not-for-profit organisations.
In addition to significant experience working with clients on complex commercial disputes, Jonathan also has a Master of Business Administration. His approach blends legal expertise with a strategic business perspective, ensuring that disputes are resolved in a manner that allows his clients to advance their businesses with confidence.
Jonathan's legal skills are also complemented by his well-developed understanding of IT systems. His combined knowledge of IT systems and litigation procedure allows him to expertly liaise with and guide clients through the often challenging process of capturing relevant material from clients' electronically stored information.
Jonathan also has an interest in upcoming and cutting edge technologies that assist legal practice to maximise efficiency and minimise cost. To that end, he has taken the initiative within the litigation and dispute resolution group to utilise and share innovative solutions to legal challenges, both strategic and routine. He is a member of the firm's Australian Innovation Committee.
Jonathan joined the firm as a graduate in 2016.
In 2021 and 2022, Jonathan was seconded to legal team at a large financial institution in Australia to assist with a class action proceeding.
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in Australia: Ones to Watch™ for Litigation (2023-present)
- Melbourne Business School, John Clemenger Memorial Prize (Dux of the School) (2023)
- Melbourne Business School, Dean's Honours List (Award of Distinction) (2023)
- Melbourne Business School, recipient of seven Dean's Commendation Awards for excellence in Negotiations (2022), Business Strategy (2022), Finance (2022), Fintech and Blockchain (2022), Operations (2021), Managerial Economics (2021), Financial Accounting (2021)
- K&L Gates, recipient of the Annual Innovation Award (2020)
- K&L Gates, recipient of the Quarterly Innovation Award (2019)
- Law Institute of Victoria member