Jonathan Chan is a senior associate in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution group. He has experience in a range of disputes including contract, banking, financial regulatory, technology, tort, professional negligence, insurance and arbitration matters. He provides advice to a number of major Australian banks, Australian and foreign companies, state government agencies, insurers and not-for-profit organisations.
Jonathan has excellent technical legal skills and is acutely aware of clients' commercial drivers and pressures. He analyses and identifies strategic and alternative courses of action, working with clients to create, preserve and recover value for business in litigious and contentious matters. Jonathan is also currently studying a Master of Business Administration, which enables him to view disputes with a business lens in addition to a legal lens.
Jonathan's legal skills are also complemented by his well-developed understanding of IT systems. His combined knowledge of IT systems and litigation procedure allows him to expertly liaise with and guide clients through the often challenging process of capturing relevant material from clients' electronically stored information.
Jonathan also has an interest in upcoming and cutting edge technologies that assist legal practice to maximise efficiency and minimise cost. To that end, he has taken the initiative within the litigation and dispute resolution group to utilise and share innovative solutions to legal challenges, both strategic and routine. He is a member of the firm's Australian Innovation Committee.
Jonathan joined the firm as a graduate in 2016.
In 2021 and 2022, Jonathan was seconded to legal team at a large financial institution in Australia to assist with a class action proceeding.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Australia, listed in Litigation (2023)
- Melbourne Business School, recipient of the Dean's Commendation Award for excellence in Finance (2022)
- Melbourne Business School, recipient of the Dean's Commendation Award for excellence in Operations (2021)
- Melbourne Business School, recipient of the Dean's Commendation Award for excellence in Managerial Economics (2021)
- Melbourne Business School, recipient of the Dean's Commendation Award for excellence in Financial Accounting (2021)
- K&L Gates, recipient of the Annual Innovation Award (2020)
- K&L Gates, recipient of the Quarterly Innovation Award (2019
- Law Institute of Victoria member