Jonathan Edel is an associate in the firm's Charlotte office and is a member of the Restructuring and Insolvency Practice group. His experience includes representing debtors and creditors in all types of restructuring transactions, including chapter 11 bankruptcies, assignment for the benefit of creditors cases, distressed sales and acquisitions, and other out-of-court arrangements.
Additionally, he regularly counsels clients on risks and strategies associated with bankruptcy and restructuring matters, including fraudulent conveyance and preference actions, corporate veil and alter ego issues, and fiduciary duty matters. His clients span the spectrum of interested parties in restructuring cases, such as debtors and potential debtors, affiliates of and investors in debtors and potential debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, and defendants in related litigation. Outside of the traditional restructuring sphere, Jonathan has also represented clients in complex commercial litigation matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Jonathan served as an associate at an international law firm where he focused his practice on corporate restructuring, bankruptcy, and other matters pertinent to the reorganization of distressed businesses. His experience includes advising clients in matters related to avoidance actions and fiduciary obligations, assisting with and evaluating distressed business transactions, and streamlining general operations. He has represented clients primarily in the energy and manufacturing sectors as well as in the health care arena. He also has represented creditors and financially distressed entities outside of bankruptcy.
- Named to inaugural edition of The Best Lawyers in America® “Ones to Watch” for work in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2021 - 2023
- Selected for the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges “NextGen” Program - 2022
- Member, American Red Cross Young Professionals Council of Northern Ohio (2019-2020)
- Partner, Playhouse Square (2019-2020)
- Member, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association (2015-2020)
- Planning Committee Member, William J. O’Neill Great Lakes Regional Bankruptcy Institute (2017)
- Creditors at the Gate: How Good Are Your Indemnities and D&O Insurance?, Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law (June 2020, with Carl Black and Mark Andreini)
- Overview of Limitations on Employee Compensation in Bankruptcy, The Bankruptcy Strategist (December 2019, with Carl Black)
- Note, The Phyrrhic Victory of American Higher Education, 88 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1543 (2013)