Maona Matanda is a special counsel in the firm's Real Estate practice. She focuses on infrastructure and construction. Maona as over 15 years of experience advising on major infrastructure, construction, and energy transactions using a variety of delivery methods, including PPPs.
Maona has advised public and private sector clients on numerous major infrastructure projects, including NSW Central-West Orana Renewable Energy Zone Transmission PPP, Sydney Metro Western Sydney Airport PPP, Suburban Rail Loop East, Inland Rail PPP, Central Precinct Renewal, Circular Quay Redevelopment, M7-M12 Interchange and M7 Widening, Gold Coast Light Rail PPP, Cross River Rail and Frankston Hospital Redevelopment PPP.
She has considerable knowledge and experience spanning the full project lifecycle and a reputation for navigating the key risks in the various stages of major infrastructure projects. Clients have noted that Maona is strategic, commercial and solution-focused.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Maona was a senior associate in the infrastructure and energy a group at an international law firm based in Sydney. She also spent eight years working at two top tier law firms.
Maona has also worked in-house on five client secondments, which helps her understand commercial drivers and legal issues from multiple perspectives.
- According to clients, "Maona is a knowledgeable, hardworking professional, who is passionate about her contract law and delivers high quality responses. I have received outstanding support from Maona in delivering the contractual aspects of a wide range of Sourcing projects. Maona interprets the legal issues and is able to clearly explain to her stakeholders the business issues. She has strong commercial and legal skills and not only delivers to the deadlines, but adds true quality in her responses." (electricity distribution client)
- "Maona was instrumental to [our] success in navigating a complex legal framework and eventually be appointed to develop, lease and operate the Webb Dock West RoRo and Auto terminal in Melbourne, Australia. Maona was working closely with me and my team going through all the various documents and contracts to ensure each risk was assessed and eliminated. I can only speak highly of Maona's work ethics, knowledge and spirit during four long and extensive weeks. Without you on our team we would have struggled and I'm only happy to recommend you to other similar projects." (Senior Vice President, an international logistics company).
- Women on Boards, member, 2023
- National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC), member, 2015 - present
- Society of Construction Law Australia, 2018 - present
- Women in Banking and Finance, member, 2019 - 2023
- Law Society of New South Wales, member, 2019 – 2023
- Infrastructure Association of Queensland, Infrastructure Funders Taskforce, 2017 - 2019