Melissa Tea is a practice area leader for the firm’s global litigation and dispute resolution practice. She maintains an active litigation and counseling practice representing public and private companies primarily in the manufacturing/technology and health care industries in a wide variety of complex commercial disputes, including business disputes, class action defense, mass tort, and insurance coverage matters. Melissa serves as a strategic adviser to her clients, developing creative solutions to complex legal issues that align with business priorities and efficiently resolving disputes through negotiated settlements, mediations, arbitrations, or trials. Melissa also has extensive experience serving as coordinating counsel for clients with regional and nationwide recurring litigation, with particular expertise in mass tort and product liability.
Melissa’s experience in enterprise risk management extends to the industries of commercial and consumer products, metals manufacturing and fabrications, specialty chemicals, energy, and industrial and commercial coatings. She advises her clients on all facets of their external risk management and litigation needs, including commercial contract disputes, business torts, insurance coverage, product liability, personal injury, construction, intellectual property, and other matters. In her role as coordinating counsel, Melissa has developed and implemented innovative, company-tailored defense strategies and cost-effective processes and approaches to manage the resolution of recurring claims.
Melissa is certified in Legal Project Management and Legal Lean Sigma. She also is a member of the K&L Gates Trial Academy.
- Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh, Board of Directors (2017 - present), Vice Chair of the Board of Directors (2021), Executive Committee member (2019 - present), Governance Committee Chair (2019 - 2021)
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, Government Relations & Advocacy Committee (2016 - present)
- United Way of Allegheny County, Emerging Leaders Tocqueville Committee (2018 - 2021) and Women’s Leadership Counsel (2012 - present)
- The Executive Women of Pittsburgh, Founding Member
- Pittsburgh CLO, Board of Directors (2014 - 2017)
- 2018 Most Powerful and Influential Women Award, National Diversity Council
- Firm Service
- Practice Area Leader, Litigation (2019 - present)
- Advisory Council (2019 - present)
- Chair, Associate Development Committee (2017 - 2019)
- Women in the Profession Committee (2013 - present)
- Chair, K&L Gates Public Interest Fellowship Program (2011 - 2016)
- “Managing Risks from the Boardroom,” Women on Boards 2020, October 2018
- “Sexual Harrassment in the Workplace,” Healthcare Council of Western Pennsylvania, September 2018
- “Navigating a Return to Work: Surviving and Thriving Following Maternity (and Other) Leave,” Allegheny County Bar Association’s Women in the Law Division, October 2017
- “Emerging Issues in Health Care Litigation,” Medicare Sequestration Webcast, 18November 2015
- "Putting Your Best Foot Forward: Exploring Traits of Successful Junior Lawyers," Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, April 2015
- Mentioned, "Judge Trims Investors' Claims In Revamped Grenfell Fire Suit," Law360, 23 June 2021