Peter McGrath is a litigation lawyer. His particular focus is medical defence, professional indemnity, general liability and insurance coverage.
Peter has almost 30 years' experience acting for state public hospitals, government departments, community health organisations, individual professionals, and their insurers. He leads a team that defends a large portfolio of claims.
As well as defending civil claims in all state jurisdictions in Australia and instituting recovery claims, he has extensive experience representing his clients at coronial inquests and disciplinary proceedings, acting in reinsurance and indemnity disputes, and providing advice on policy wordings and coverage issues.
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in Australia™ for Insurance Law (2016-present), Medical Negligence (2019-present), Personal Injury Litigation (2020-present)
- Best Lawyers in Australia™, listed as 'Lawyer of the Year' for Medical Negligence (2021)
- Doyle's Guide, recommended as a Leading Medical Negligence & Malpractice (Defendant) Lawyer in Victoria (2017-2018, 2020)
- The Law Institute of Victoria member
- The Medico Legal Society of Victoria member
- Australian Insurance Law Association member
- Regular provider of pro bono advice and litigation services to community service organisations, including through Public Interest Law Clearing House