As many of his clients can attest, Simon Ashworth is known as an imaginative thinker who develops innovative solutions and focuses his advice on helping create value for his clients and get the deal done.
Simon advises consortia, contractors and construction companies on a wide range of infrastructure procurement in both Australia and New Zealand. He specializes in procurement strategy and contractual drafting and negotiations, including for infrastructure projects (in particular transport and social infrastructure) and energy and resources projects. He has advised on a number of government infrastructure projects for both public and private sector clients including the Sydney Light Rail PPP, Grafton Prison PPP, Auckland Prison PPP, South Auckland (Wiri) Prison PPP, Gold Coast Light Rail PPP, Cross River Rail PPP, Sydney Growth Trains, NSW Social and Affordable Housing Fund Phase 2, Sydney Ferries Outsourcing and Australia's new Antarctic Icebreaker.
Simon is highly regarded in the market as one of Australia's leading practitioners and is recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific (2017 – 2020), Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2017 – 2020) and Best Lawyers (2015 – 2020) directories for his expertise.
Prior to to joining the firm, Simon was a partner at one of Australia's leading independent law firms.
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Project Finance and Development Practice (2015-present)
- Leading Lawyer for Construction by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2017 – 2020)
- Recommended Lawyer for Construction (2017 – 2020) and Project Development (2020) by Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
- Clients say that "he's very legally astute" and "he's legally very smart and he aims to provide the most efficient legal service" (Chambers Asia Pacific 2020)
- "Simon Ashworth is able to bring his vast experience to provide pragmatic solutions to legal issues. Simon makes great efforts to understand his client’s businesses and as such can tailor solutions to the business context." and "seasoned practitioner Simon Ashworth … brings impressive expertise in these [road, rail, port, social infrastructure, energy and renewables] sectors including PPP experience." (Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2020)
- "Clients praise the depth of his knowledge." (Chambers Asia Pacific 2019)
- "He knows the market, he's very measured and considered, and he gives practical advice that is underpinned by a good knowledge of the legal situation." (Chambers Asia Pacific 2019)
- "His attention to detail and ability to turn around significant volumes of work at short notice is why we continue to brief him." (Chambers Asia Pacific 2018)
- "He is a very good negotiator, always coming up with a good solution, and he is very imaginative." (Chambers Asia Pacific 2017)
- "A strong solutions provider" (Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017)
- "Simon is like a member of my own legal team, only at a different level. He works with our in-house team bringing skills we don't have." (Infrastructure client)
- "I'm confident in saying that if we did not have Simon negotiating on our behalf we would not have had such a successful outcome. I would not hesitate to recommend him for work involving the Commonwealth and am confident that he would bring value to any such transaction." (Engineering client)
- Law Society of New South Wales, member
- Law Society of England and Wales, member