Dr. Thorsten Vormann has extensive experience in the protection and enforcement of all forms of intellectual property rights, with a focus on infringement suits in the area of patent litigation.
He also advises on non-contentious IP matters, particularly in the areas of R&D projects, licensing, and distribution agreements. He assists clients with respect to a lot of complex technologies, particularly in the automobile industry, medical, electronic, telecommunications, and computer hardware and software sectors.
He is recognized as a leading practitioner in legal directories such as JUVE Handbuch, Chambers Europe, Chambers Global, and Best Lawyers/Handelsblatt 2014–2019.
Thorsten joined K&L Gates in May 2015 from a Frankfurt-based international law firm and its predecessor law firm, where he worked for 23 years (18 years as a partner), and headed the German IP and trademark department since 2006.
He was admitted as a lawyer in Germany in 1992.
- Listed as an "IP Star" in Managing IP, 2020
- GRUR (Deutsche Vereinigung für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht e.V.)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA)
Thorsten regularly delivers speeches on legal topics, including:
- “The protection of know-how provided by Civil Law,” WisteV-Wistra Annual Meeting, Frankfurt, January 2014
- “The European Patent with Unitary Effect,” European Chamber of Commerce, Hong Kong, November 2013.
- “Copyright issues deriving from the use of social media,” Summit of the Real Estate Industry (Juristischer Jahresgipfel für die Immobilienwirtschaft), Frankfurt, May 2013.
Thorsten regularly publishes on industrial property rights, including:
- Chapter in FAZ. Innovationshandbuch 2014 – Das EU-Patent kommt endlich? Publisher: C. Milbradt.
- “The European Commission’s Report on the Inquiry into the Pharmaceutical Sector: A Critical Analysis from a Patent and Antitrust Law Perspective,” Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society, January 2010
- Handbook of Pharmaceutical Law, a German-language book, C.H.BECK, 2010