Tim Webster is a highly respected commercial litigator who handles disputes for the firm's corporate clients in a range of industries. He currently serves as the co-practice area leader of the firm's global litigation and dispute resolution group, and is a member of the firm's global advisory committee.
Tim has extensive experience and skill in company critical litigation and in managing complex and sensitive matters, including the defence of large class actions.
He has particular expertise in the strategic handling and resolution of disputes or potential disputes, enforcement of contractual rights and obligations, and Corporations Act matters, including directors’ duties and shareholder rights and remedies.
Tim is a fully qualified mediator and has considerable experience in, and knowledge of, appropriate dispute resolution vehicles, including arbitration, mediation and facilitated negotiation.
He is recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global and The Legal 500 Asia Pacific for Dispute Resolution – Australia and ranked as one of Australia's leading alternative dispute resolution and litigation lawyers by Best Lawyers.
- Ranked by Chambers Global for Dispute Resolution (2019–present)
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in Australia™ for Alternative Dispute Resolution (2017–present) and Litigation (2019–2022)
- Recognised by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific as a leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution (2021–present)
- Recognised by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific as a leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution (2016–2020) and Regulatory Compliance Investigations (2019)
- "We were in very strong and capable hands with Tim leading complex litigation for us, all the way through to settlement. Tim was unflappable and was passionate to ensure that our brand position was known, and respectful of our internal processes. He is also very approachable and easy to get along with." (Chambers Asia Pacific 2023)
- Tim Webster "plays leading roles on high-profile contentious mandates of all kinds. Clients characterise him as 'excellent in his field' and as a source of 'pragmatic, no-nonsense legal advice on disputes.'" (Chambers Asia Pacific 2022)
- "Clients prize the ‘clear and insightful advice’ provided by department head Tim Webster." and "Tim Webster was outstanding as our lead partner and clearly articulated the various pathways in the litigation we were involved in. The clear and insightful advice allowed us to make sound decisions." (The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021)
- A client notes that in addition to having "a great reputation with respect to commercial litigation," Tim Webster is "very knowledgeable, direct and to the point, and a trusted adviser." (Chambers Asia Pacific 2021)
- "Tim Webster…, is able to bring a commercial and litigation mindset to all matters." (The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020)
- Department head Tim Webster is described as "a strategic thinker and agile problem-solver." (The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018)
- Recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific for Dispute Resolution in Australia (2018-present)
- "Practice head Tim Webster is respected by peers as an 'experienced, effective operator.' He is praised by referees as a particularly powerful and successful representative of their interests, both in litigation and in heading it off, one noting: "He really does make your company feel looked after." (Chambers Asia Pacific 2018)
- Law Society of New South Wales member
- Resolution Institute member
Tim regularly presents seminars and training on topical litigation issues, including legal professional privilege and its application to in-house corporate lawyers.
- "Settlement (Civil Litigation)," Australian chapter in Thomson Reuters' Practical Law, Cross-Border Dispute Resolution, March 2017
- "Opinions as Assumptions – Court Rejects Expert Evidence of $170 million Claim," Law Society of NSW Journal, July 2012