Emily Steele is an associate in the Raleigh office and a member of the firm's restructuring and insolvency practice group. She focuses her practice on the representation of secured and unsecured creditors in restructuring and insolvency matters. Emily represents clients in a variety of contexts in bankruptcy proceedings, including litigation involving the automatic stay, adequate protection, use of cash collateral, assumptions and rejections of executory contracts and unexpired leases, chapter 11 plan confirmation and interpretation, section 363 asset sales, and fraudulent conveyance and preference litigation. Emily also advises creditors as to their rights and remedies both in and out of court and in state and federal proceedings across the country, and regularly advises servicers, lenders, and other financial institutions in connection with consumer bankruptcy practices and regulatory compliance. As a member of the firm’s finance practice group, Emily also works on corporate finance, commercial lending, private equity and mezzanine financing transactions.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Emily served as a law clerk to Chief Judge Stephani W. Humrickhouse, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, 2014-2016.
- Business North Carolina’s Legal Elite 2023 – “Young Guns”
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- Wake County Bar Association, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation, Member
- “Fourth Circuit and Supreme Court Bankruptcy Case Update,” Eastern Bankruptcy Institute, June 2015, May 2016