George Summerfield has more than 30 years of patent litigation experience, including matters in district court, the U.S. International Trade Commission, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and the European Patent Office.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, George was a partner at the Chicago office of an IP firm.
George has served as first chair patent litigator in more than 100 matters. He has also served as amici counsel for numerous universities and university-related organizations in matters pending before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court. He has provided assistance to several Eastern European governments in drafting intellectual property laws through programs administered by the United States Department of State and the United States Information Agency.
- Two Fulbright Scholarships to Romania
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- National Association of University and College Attorneys (NACUA)
George has made numerous presentations to university related professional associations, including the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM) and ASTP-Proton.
- “Trade Secret Protection for AI Inventions (Part 2),” startup-together.com, 2019
- “Trade Secret Protection for AI Inventions (Part 1),” startup-together.com, 2019
- Quoted, Know Your (IP) Rights, GOLD The Business Magazine of Cypress, 20 October, 2019