Jeremy McLaughlin is a partner in the firm's San Francisco office and a member of the Payments, Bank Regulatory, and Consumer Financial Services group. His practice focuses on regulatory compliance and enforcement for fintechs, digital asset/cryptocurrency companies, and other consumer financial products and services, including emerging payment and prepaid products. He also maintains an active litigation practice, focusing on dispositive issues and appeals for consumer financial services matters.
Jeremy represents a broad range of clients across the financial services, fintech, and digital assets industries, ranging from startups to blockchain platforms to some of the world's largest financial institutions. They have included money services businesses, cryptocurrency platforms, token issuers (including NFTs), digital wallet providers, DeFi platforms, banks, retailers, credit and prepaid card companies, debt collectors, and mortgage lenders and servicers.
Jeremy counsels clients on compliance with state and federal consumer protection laws, money transmitter laws, international remittances, anti-money laundering laws, abandoned property laws, gift card rules, sweepstakes laws, and payment network rules, as well as advising on privacy, data security, and credit and licensed lending laws. He assists clients negotiate and draft agreements involving payment technologies and licensing issues, custodial arrangements, and draft terms and conditions and disclosures for new products. He also serves as regulatory counsel in connection with investments, including conducting due diligences of payment companies and digital asset/cryptocurrency platforms.
In his litigation practice, Jeremy focuses on appeals and dispositive motions before state and federal courts, especially proceedings involving consumer financial laws. He has defended clients in class actions involving state and federal consumer protection laws, such as the Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA & Regulation E), Truth in Lending Act (TILA & Regulation Z), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act (CARD Act), UDAP, and UDAAP. He has prepared over 10 briefs for the US Supreme Court, and dozens of briefs for federal and state appellate courts. He has argued before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Jeremy is a regular speaker at fintech and cryptocurrency conferences and a regular contributor to the FinTech Law Blog and the Consumer Financial Services Watch Blog.
- Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom (2011-present)
- Lambda Legal, San Francisco Leadership Executive Committee (2010-present)
- Little Brothers- Friends of the Elderly, Board of Directors (2010-2012)
- Fintech Trends, Developments, and New Directions, 2021 Consumer Financial Services Symposium, April 2021
- Fintech Developments, MSBA Fintech Working Group, February 2021
- It’s Groundhog Day for Payments, Webinar, February 2021
- Finally, the Killer Crypto Application: Central Bank Digital Currencies & Stablecoins, Innovative Payments Association, August 2020
- The Present and Future of Cryptocurrency, ACI Fintech & Emerging Payment Systems, July 2020
- The State of NFT Regulation, NFT.NYC 2020, New York City, February 2020
- Payments & Payment Systems, State Bar of Georgia, Atlanta, February 2020
- Money Transfers: Regulation & Compliance, International Money Transfer & Payments Conference, Miami, November 2019
- Blockchain & VCs: New Frontiers in Compliance & Regulation, International Money Transfer & Payments Conference, Miami, November 2019
- 2018 Consumer Financial Services Symposium, December 2018
- The New Role of the New CFPB, International Money Transfer & Payments Conference, Miami, November 2018
- Scary Topics and Spooky Trends in FinTech Webinar, November 2018
- Getting Your House in Order: Best Practices for Fintechs Preparing for Investment/Acquisition, BayPay & K&L Gates Event, February 2018
- Recent Rules Affecting MSBs: Beneficial Ownership Rule & NYDFS Rule 504, International Money Transfer & Payments Conference, Miami, November 2017
- Future of Blockchain Technology, Panel discussion at Blockchain Technology for Cybersecurity and Social Impact conference, June 2017
- Entering the U.S. Market- Seizing Opportunity, Panel discussion, Toronto, February 2017
- CFPB Servicing Rules Episode VI: Return of the Rulemakings, Webinar, September 2016
- Beyond Regulation: What the CFPB Expects from Payment Processors, Webinar, August 2016
- 870 Pages in 90 Minutes: What the CFPB's Prepaid Proposal Means for Your Business, Webinar, December 2014
- “What Shifting Crypto Policy Means For Banks, Market Players,” Law360, 9 December 2021
- “Appendix: 50-State Virtual Currency Regulation Survey, Digital and Digitized Assets: Federal and State Jurisdictional Issues,” ABA IDPPS Jurisdiction Working Group, March 2019