Jeremy McLaughlin leads the firm's Payments, Bank Regulatory, and Consumer Financial Services group, and co-chairs the Digital Asset industry group. He is based in San Francisco. His practice focuses on regulatory compliance and enforcement for fintechs, digital asset and cryptocurrency companies, and other consumer financial products and services, including emerging payment and prepaid products.
Jeremy represents a broad range of clients across the financial services, fintech, and digital assets industries, from startups to blockchain platforms to some of the world's largest financial institutions. They include money services businesses, cryptocurrency exchanges, token issuers (including NFTs), digital wallet providers, DeFi platforms, banks, retailers, credit and prepaid card companies, and lenders.
Jeremy counsels clients on compliance with a wide range of laws, including state and federal consumer protection laws, money transmitter laws, international remittances, anti-money laundering laws, abandoned property laws, gift card rules, sweepstakes laws, and payment network rules. He helps clients negotiate and draft agreements involving payment technologies and licensing issues, custodial arrangements, and draft terms and conditions and disclosures for new products. He also serves as regulatory counsel in connection with investments, including conducting due diligences of payment companies and digital asset/cryptocurrency platforms.
Jeremy is a regular speaker at fintech and cryptocurrency conferences and a regular contributor to the FinTech Law Blog.
- Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom (2011-present)
- Lambda Legal, San Francisco Leadership Executive Committee (2010-present)
- Little Brothers- Friends of the Elderly, Board of Directors (2010-2012)
- The Future of U.S. Digital Asset Regulation, BREATHE! Convention, September 2023
- Global Approaches to Digital Asset Regulation, Intersekt 23, Melbourne, August 2023
- Fintech Trends, Developments, and New Directions, 2021 Consumer Financial Services Symposium, April 2021
- Fintech Developments, MSBA Fintech Working Group, February 2021
- It’s Groundhog Day for Payments, Webinar, February 2021
- Finally, the Killer Crypto Application: Central Bank Digital Currencies & Stablecoins, Innovative Payments Association, August 2020
- The Present and Future of Cryptocurrency, ACI Fintech & Emerging Payment Systems, July 2020
- The State of NFT Regulation, NFT.NYC 2020, New York City, February 2020
- Payments & Payment Systems, State Bar of Georgia, Atlanta, February 2020
- Money Transfers: Regulation & Compliance, International Money Transfer & Payments Conference, Miami, November 2019
- Blockchain & VCs: New Frontiers in Compliance & Regulation, International Money Transfer & Payments Conference, Miami, November 2019
- 2018 Consumer Financial Services Symposium, December 2018
- The New Role of the New CFPB, International Money Transfer & Payments Conference, Miami, November 2018
- Scary Topics and Spooky Trends in FinTech Webinar, November 2018
- Getting Your House in Order: Best Practices for Fintechs Preparing for Investment/Acquisition, BayPay & K&L Gates Event, February 2018
- Recent Rules Affecting MSBs: Beneficial Ownership Rule & NYDFS Rule 504, International Money Transfer & Payments Conference, Miami, November 2017
- Future of Blockchain Technology, Panel discussion at Blockchain Technology for Cybersecurity and Social Impact conference, June 2017
- Entering the U.S. Market- Seizing Opportunity, Panel discussion, Toronto, February 2017
- CFPB Servicing Rules Episode VI: Return of the Rulemakings, Webinar, September 2016
- Beyond Regulation: What the CFPB Expects from Payment Processors, Webinar, August 2016
- 870 Pages in 90 Minutes: What the CFPB's Prepaid Proposal Means for Your Business, Webinar, December 2014
- “What Shifting Crypto Policy Means For Banks, Market Players,” Law360, 9 December 2021
- “Appendix: 50-State Virtual Currency Regulation Survey, Digital and Digitized Assets: Federal and State Jurisdictional Issues,” ABA IDPPS Jurisdiction Working Group, March 2019
- Quoted, “JP Morgan Says Bitcoin ETF Approval Won’t Ease US Regulatory Blow Stakeholders,” 0XZX (China) (Translated), 14 November 2023
- Cited, "The Risks of Storing Money in Apps Like Venmo and Cash App,” The New York Times, June 2023