Dr. Olaf Fiss is a counsel in the firm’s Berlin office. He advises national and international companies on all aspects of IP and IT law, including copyright, media, trademark, competition, software and data protection law.
Olaf has many years of experience in enforcing his clients’ claims in court. He advises on the development and implementation of new business models and serves as a contact person for all questions relating to the protection and distribution of IP content.
His experience includes, inter alia, complex copyright litigation, rights clearance for broadcasting companies and online platforms, drafting of software license and distribution agreements, youth protection compliance, and legal issues relating to collecting societies. He is an expert in the prosecution of Internet piracy under civil and criminal law and advises on M&A transactions in the media and technology sector.
Olaf is a lawyer at K&L Gates since 2010. Prior to that, he worked in the legal department of an American software company in London. In 2014 he obtained his accreditation as a “Specialist Lawyer for Copyright and Media Law” (Fachanwalt für Urheber- und Medienrecht). Olaf holds a doctorate in software law. In addition, he completed a Master degree (DESS) in International Business Law at a Paris university.
Olaf regularly speaks on issues concerning his practice, more recently:
- Presentation on the subject of collecting societies as part of the VAUNET workshop GEMA-GVL, July 8, 2020
- Lecture on "Media Law" as part of his teaching activities at a university specialized in media professions, June 12/13, 2020
- Presentation on “Recent Challenges to IP-driven Media Distribution in the EU” as part of the „ERA/EMR Annual Conference on European Media Law“, May 28, 2020
- Specialist Lawyer for Copyright and Media Law (Fachanwalt für Urheber- und Medienrecht), 2014
- Murphy Reloaded: The Admissibility of Geoblocking for Audiovisual Content in the Light of Current Developments , ZUM 2020, p. 18 (with von Albrecht)
- v. Hartlieb/Schwarz, Handbook Film, TV and Video Law, 6th ed., 2020, chapters 269 - 273 on collecting societies (with von Albrecht)
- Remuneration for Cable Retransmission in Condominium, comment on the Higher Regional Court Braunschweig ruling of April 17, 2019, ZUM 2019, p. 785 et seq. (with von Albrecht)
- Heine/Holzmüller: Commentary on the Act on Collecting Societies (VGG), 1st ed. 2019; sections 41 - 43 and 128 - 131 (with von Albrecht)
- Haftung für fehlerhafte Software (Liability for Defective Software), doctoral thesis, 2014
- Telecom, Media and Technology Alert: European Court of Justice Holds Google Responsible for the Processing of Personal Data from Third-Party Websites, 2014
- Telecom, Media and Technology Alert: European Council adopts directive on the collective management of copyright and multi-territorial licensing of online music, 2014
- GEMA Fee Reform and Fair Remuneration for Clubs, K&R 12, 2012, p. 777 f. (with von Albrecht and Sepperer)