Alexis Crawford Douglas concentrates her practice in the area of intellectual property, and handles a range of transactional and litigation matters related to trademarks, domain names, social media and copyrights.
Alexis provides strategic management of global trademark portfolios for clients ranging from multi-national to start-up companies in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, diagnostics and medical devices, consumer products, marketing and advertising, food and beverage, financial and technology. Alexis assists clients with clearance, prosecution, protection and enforcement of trademarks. She serves as a specialist in corporate transaction matters, conducting due diligence and advising on intellectual property aspects of deals.
Alexis also advises clients in all phases of trademark and copyright disputes, including representing clients in litigation matters in various federal courts and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She counsels clients on domain name disputes, including representing them before international arbitration panels.
Alexis routinely negotiates and drafts intellectual property-related agreements, including settlement agreements, assignments, licenses, and consent agreements.
Alexis previously worked as an intellectual property intern for Fox Entertainment Group. She also served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Morton Denlow of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Prior to her legal career, Alexis worked at The Advanced Business Intelligence Solutions Group, where she managed a network of educational websites, and wrote and edited daily news briefs on niche industries for corporate clients. Alexis also owned and managed her own writing, editing and consulting company before and during law school.
- The Richard Linn American Inn of Court
- International Trademark Association, active member of Internet Committee
- Chicago Bar Association, currently Member Services Manager for the Young Lawyer’s Section
- NIJC Pro Bono Asylum Attorney Program
- Board of Directors for the Skokie Valley Symphony Orchestra (2014-2015)
- Adjunct Professor and co-founder of The John Marshall Law School’s Trademark Clinic (2014-2015)
- Hosted a panel and assisted with organization of the Chicago Bar Association’s first Working Women’s Legal Summit, March 8, 2019.
- Moderated Trademark and Copyright Enforcement at the ITC and Customs presentation for The Richard Linn Inn American Inn of Court, November 15, 2018.
- Moderated ABA Annual Meeting panel on If the Shoe Fits: What Footwear Cases Teach Us About IP Protection & Enforcement, August 3, 2018.
- Panelist at Chicago Bar Association’s Seminar for November 2016 New Admittees to the Illinois Bar on Career Development, February 28, 2018.
- Presented on handling unlawful content on social media at General Counsel University: Like This: How to Assess & Manage Your Social Media Risk, October 2017.
- Moderated Developing Business by Working in the Community for the Chicago Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section L.E.A.D. for Large Law Firms Committee, November 7, 2016
- Panelist and assisted with presentation preparation for Willfulness: The Ship Has Sailed on Seagate with pupilage group for The Richard Linn Inn of Court, October 13, 2016
- Emceed final round of Launch Competition at Techweek Chicago 2016
- Moderated Developing a Coveted Expertise for the Chicago Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section L.E.A.D. for Large Law Firms Committee, April 7, 2016
- Participated in Intellectual Property Law Society’s IP practice panel at Northwestern University School of Law, March 2, 2016
- Panelist at Chicago-Kent Gastro IP Symposium discussing intellectual property issues for craft brewers, November 10, 2015
- Presented Tips For Tweets and Engaging Online: Navigating the Legal Issues on Social Media Platforms at Chicago Bar Association’s Creative Arts committee meeting, September 15, 2015
- Presented Think Before You Tweet with K&L Gates partner Ben Weed at Techweek Chicago 2015
- Routinely provides presentations on trademark, copyright, social media and advertising guidelines to large and small companies in an accessible way to guide employees’ behavior and emphasize importance of IP protection
- Annually teaches foreign trademark prosecution program to new associates at K&L Gates