Anil Patel is the managing partner of the firm’s Houston office. He focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation in the pharmaceutical and chemical industries. Dr. Anil has served as lead counsel in numerous Hatch-Waxman litigation cases. He has experience in all phases of patent litigation, including Markman hearings, Daubert motions, direct and cross-examination of fact and expert witnesses, fact and expert discovery and depositions, motion practice, and pre-trial and post-trial briefing.
Dr. Anil’s scientific background along with his breadth of experience in legal issues relevant to the pharmaceutical industry allows him to provide his clients with sophisticated advice leading to a competitive advantage.
Dr. Anil also focuses a significant portion of his practice on advising clients on patent licensing agreements and settlement agreements, including specific experience in negotiating settlements of Hatch-Waxman litigations. Relatedly, he frequently advises clients on FDA regulatory matters, with specific focus on matters relating to regulatory exclusivities.
Additionally, Dr. Anil’s practice involves advising clients on IP due diligence matters relating to potential acquisitions of target products and companies. In this context, his expertise includes advising clients not only on the IP related matters, but providing an overall assessment on the impact of IP, regulatory and other legal issues on the business potential of the target acquisition.
Dr. Anil’s experience includes counseling clients on non-infringement and invalidity opinions, drafting Paragraph IV notice letters and detailed statements; advising clients on products for portfolio selection, including evaluation of potential launch dates, as well as legal and regulatory hurdles.
Prior to joining the firm, Dr. Anil practiced at two international law firms and a prominent intellectual property boutique, where the focus of his practice was Hatch-Waxman litigation. He also previously served as U.S. Counsel for Cipla USA, Inc. In his role as U.S. Counsel, he managed all of Cipla's legal matters in the United States, including matters involving intellectual property, regulatory, and antitrust law.
- Georgia “Rising Star” for Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine, 2017
- Speaker, Paragraph IV Disputes (April 2017), “Revisiting Use Codes and Carve-Out Cases in Light of the Final MMA Rule,” New York, NY.
- Invited talk on “Access to Medicine and the Role of Patent Law” at the University of Pennsylvania. Audience consisted of law students and global public health students. March 2014.
- A. Patel and C. R. Bowers, “Detection of Optical Pumping Enhanced Dipolar Nuclear Spin Order in GaAs and InP by Two-Dimensional Nuclear Magnetic Resonance,” Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on the Physics of Semiconductors, Conference Proceedings, 772, 1455-1456 (2005).
- Patel and C. R. Bowers, “Two-Dimensional Nuclear Magnetic Resonance in Optically Pumped Semiconductors,” Chem. Phys. Lett., 397, 96 (2004).
- Patel, et. al., “Optical Dynamic Nuclear Polarization in InP Single Crystal: Wavelength and Field Dependence of NMR Enhancement,” Phys. Rev. B. Rapid Comm. 60, R5105 (1999).