Ayman Guirguis advises clients on all aspects of antitrust/competition law as well as consumer law.
Ayman has a wealth of experience advising clients on merger clearance, joint ventures and on supply chain arrangements between suppliers and customers. He also has experience defending court actions by the ACCC and other market participants and advising on, setting up and implementing competition law and consumer law compliance programs.
Ayman regularly advises on, and responds to, regulatory investigations by the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) alleging cartel conduct (price fixing, market sharing or bid rigging), including making immunity and leniency applications, competitor interactions at Industry Associations, as well as on other anti-competitive allegations such as misuse of market power, exclusivities, including defending litigation commenced by the ACCC.
Ayman also counsels clients on the Australian Consumer Law, including advertising and sales, marketing practices as well as compliance programs and audits.
Ayman has acted for clients across a range of industries including petroleum, oil and gas, property and construction, financial services, packaging, IT, retail, including food and fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) and pharmaceutical.
Prior to joining the firm, Ayman was a partner of two national Australian firms for a period of 16 years. He was also a senior officer in both the Mergers Branch and Enforcement branches of the ACCC.
- Euromoney's Expert Guide, Competition & Antitrust in Australia (2020)
- Lawyers Weekly, Finalist for Partner of the Year Awards for Competition, Trade and Regulation (2020)
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Regulatory Compliance and Investigations (2018 – present)
- Who's Who Legal, Recommended National Leader in Australia – Competition (2017 – present)
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Competition and Trade by (2015 – present)
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Competition Law (2013 – present)
- Global Competition Review's Who's Who Legal, Recommended Global Leader – Competition (2012 – present)
- Chambers Asia Pacific, ranked individual in Competition/Antitrust - Australia (2008 – present)
- Ayman Guirguis is identified by sources as "someone who takes the big picture and looks for solutions, as well as providing excellent legal analysis." (Chambers Asia Pacific 2021)
- Ayman Guirguis has this "insight into the mind of the regulator" and "very thorough, practical and timely advice on how things will play out" and known for his "very affable, down-to-earth manner" and willingness for clients to "bounce ideas off him". (Chambers Asia Pacific 2020)
- Ayman Guirguis is "a highly regarded competition lawyer whose practice combines a number of sector-specific skills with broad competition expertise. A satisfied client reports: He gets to the point, is at the forefront of the industry and regulation and is always pre-empting issues for us in an unprompted way." (Chambers Asia Pacific 2019)
- Ayman Guirguis is described as "very commercial and practical". (Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019)
- Ayman Guirguis is "well known in the market for his deep experience across all areas of Australian competition law. His dedication to his clients is also appreciated by interviewees, one of whom notes: Ayman is incredibly responsive and reliable and always makes you feel like your matter is top priority. He always goes out of his way to provide excellent service and to understand his client's business." (Chambers Asia Pacific 2018)
- Ayman Guirguis is "easy to work with and showcases a commercial approach with great breadth and depth of knowledge". (Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018)
- Australian Non-Government Adviser representative of the International Competition Network (2009 – 2017)
- Law Council of Australia Competition and Consumer Law Committee member
- American Bar Association member
- International Bar Association member
- Association of Corporate Counsel member
- Law Society of New South Wales member
- Anti-trust in a Time of Global Crisis: An Australia Perspective, Australian Law Council's Annual Competition and Consumer Law Workshop, November 2020
- Competition Law: Merger Clearance in Australia, Negotiated Acquisitions and Buyouts, November 2016
- Chapter 2 - Australia, The Cartels and Leniency Review - Edition 3, January 2015
- Chapter 1 - Australia, The Dominance & Monopolies Review, September 2014