Ben Holland is a partner in the Oil, Gas, and Resources practice group of the firm’s London office. Described as a “true energy disputes lawyer,” and “excellent for tricky, high-value disputes” (Chambers UK), he handles multijurisdictional large-scale dispute resolution for energy-sector clients around the world.
Ben works exclusively on energy-related disputes, with a particular emphasis on LNG and natural gas. The American Lawyer’s Arbitration Scorecard has recognised three of Ben’s LNG/gas-sector arbitrations as among the largest in the world.
Ben is experienced in hydrocarbon supply and pricing disputes under long-term international LNG, gas, oil, and coal sale agreements and the impact of economic and regulatory change on the commercial balance under them. He also focuses on disputes arising out of fluctuations in demand for energy and the price of crude oil and the consequential impact on the price of LNG, natural gas, oil products, coal, and other commodities.
Active in the oil, gas, LNG, power and utilities, renewables, and mining sectors, Ben advises on disputes concerning the construction, operation, and decommissioning of oil, gas, and LNG production facilities and equipment, production sharing agreements, operating agreements, joint ventures, mining projects, pipelines, international trading, onshore and offshore engineering, offshore wind, and power and renewables facilities. He also handles electricity regulatory work, power, and network code related disputes. His clients include power and utilities companies, national oil companies, international oil companies, energy sector investors, mining investors, and oil and gas marketers.
Based on his experience in the resolution of international energy disputes, Ben consults on project advisory, risk avoidance, and dispute strategy at senior executive level, with the majority of his work reporting directly to the CEO/beneficial owner.
Ben is a member of the Energy Institute, the International Bar Association, the UK Energy Lawyers’ Group, the Energy Related Arbitration Practitioners (ENERAP) and is a ranked lawyer in Chambers and The Legal 500. Independent feedback from clients and industry commentators highlights that:
Ben Holland of K&L Gates comes recommended for his specialist expertise in gas pricing disputes, which forms part of his commercial arbitration practice. He is sought after by clients in the energy sector and has a particular focus on Europe. "He's a really good energy disputes specialist."
-Chambers UK 2022, International Arbitration
Ben Holland of K&L Gates specialises in assisting clients with international oil and gas claims, including those before arbitral institutions and the Commercial Court. He frequently acts on investment and competition disputes, as well as cases concerning price reviews. "He's a real energy guy focused in the gas space."
-Chambers UK 2022, Energy & Natural Resources Disputes
Ben Holland specialises in assisting clients with international oil and gas claims, including those before arbitral institutions and the Commercial Court. He frequently acts on investment and competition disputes, as well as cases concerning price reviews.
- Chambers UK 2021, in Energy & Natural Resources: Disputes
Ben Holland comes recommended for his focused experience in gas pricing disputes, which forms part of his commercial arbitration practice. He is sought after by clients in the energy sector.
- The Legal 500 Global 2021
Ben Holland is experienced in assisting clients with international oil and gas claims, including those before arbitral institutions and the Commercial Court. He frequently acts on investment and competition disputes, as well as cases concerning price reviews. "He is a clever lawyer who is very good on the regulatory side."
- The Legal 500 UK 2021
“Ben Holland is very responsible and has a wide outlook and knowledge in technical matters which is important in cases where high tech equipment is the subject.”
- The Legal 500 UK 2020
“Ben Holland is exceptionally open and attentive to details; he explains the reasons behind the options on the table, each consequence and the reasoning of proposed actions.”
- The Legal 500 UK 2020
“‘Engaging advocate’ Ben Holland…has a wealth of experience in representing clients in energy arbitrations. He is often instructed in cross-border gas disputes, including gas price review arbitrations. Sources say that ‘he is proactive with his cases and work’ and also ‘good with clients.’”
- Chambers UK 2019, in Energy & Natural Resources: Disputes
“Ben Holland… is a well-regarded energy lawyer with substantial arbitration experience. His practice includes acting for gas companies in ICC arbitrations.”
- Chambers UK 2019, in International Arbitration: Commercial Arbitration
Ben qualified as a lawyer in 2000 and became an energy disputes partner in a London headquartered international law firm in 2007. He has been a global energy disputes lawyer, based in London, throughout his career.
- Recognised in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom™ for Energy & Natural Resources Law, and International Arbitration.
- Recommended in The Legal 500 UK 2020 for International arbitration
- Recommended in Chambers UK 2019 for Energy & Natural Resources, UK-wide
- Recommended in Chambers UK 2019 for International Arbitration, UK-wide
- Recognised in The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom™ 2015-2021 for Energy & Natural Resources Law
Ben is a member of the Association of International Energy Negotiators, the Energy Institute, the International Bar Association, and the UK Energy Lawyers’ Group.
- Panelist, “Managing LNG in the Energy Transition,” K&L Gates LLP, Wood Mackenzie and Japan Institute for Overseas Investment’s Route to Zero Emission: Opportunities in the Evolving Power Markets Seminar, Tokyo, September 2023
- “Gas/LNG price reviews in the context of current market volatility,” Energy Arbitration Club, London, July 2022
- “Arbitration vs Mediation, the Various Alternative Dispute Resolutions in UK/Europe," Global Litigation & E-Discovery Confex, London, June 2022
- “Caspian Sea Energy Forum,” FTI Consulting, London, September 2019
- “‘There’s no law in gas pricing arbitration,’ speaking against the motion,” GAR Live, London, June 2017
- “East, West, North and South – Regional Perspective on Energy Arbitration in Africa,” LCILP Conference, London, May 2017
- “Decommissioning Liability – A Growing Concern,” C5 Upstream Oil & Gas Legal Forum, London, January 2017
- “Resolving Disputes Between Co-Venturers in Energy Projects,” Ukraine Legal Energy Forum, Kyiv, November 2016
- “Decommissioning in the United Kingdom Continental Shelf: Decommissioning Security Disputes,” UBCEES Oil and Gas Decommissioning Conference, Buckingham, May 2016
- “LNG Price Review Arbitrations – the Future Landscape,” International Arbitration Conference on Energy Disputes, Doha, February 2016
- “Hardship and Force Majeure,” International Arbitration Conference on Energy Disputes, Doha, February 2016
- Contributor, “LNG Arbitrations" in "The Guide to Energy Arbitrations – Fifth Edition,” Global Arbitration Review (GAR), August 2022
- Contributor, "The Regulation of Decommissioning, Abandonment and Reuse Initiatives in the Oil and Gas Industry," Energy and Environmental Law and Policy Series, Vol 38, July 2020
- Co-author, “UK Appellate Rulings Clarify Arbitral Choice of Law,” Law360, June 2020
- Co-author, “Eastward movement of gas prices means the transition of LNG disputes from Europe to Asia,” LNG Journal, January 2020
- Author, “Decommissioning Disputes,” LexisNexis Practice Note, 2019
- Co-author, “Decommissioning in the United Kingdom Continental Shelf: Decommissioning Security Disputes,” The Denning Law Journal, Vol 28, 2016
- Co-author, “Beyond Price Reviews: Adjudicating Claims of Financial Hardship,” The Leading Practitioners’ Guide to International Oil and Gas Arbitration, 2015
- Author, “Excalibur: The Double-Edged Sword: UK Court Grants Foreign Anti-Arbitration Injunction in Parallel Proceedings Case,” Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2013
- Co-author, “Tailoring the Arbitral Process to Suit Natural Gas Price Reviews: The Case for Two Stage Final Arbitration,” International Arbitration Law Review, Vol 16 Issue 3, 2013
- Author, “Oil and Gas in Iraq – The Constitutional Cliff Edge,” Global Energy Review, 2013
- Co-author, “Natural Gas Price Reviews: Past, Present and Future,” Journal of Energy & Natural Resources Law, 2012