Benjamin Heuberger’s practice includes intellectual property matters in connection with prosecution, licensing, and transactions in commercial goods, pharmaceutical, chemical, and life science arts. He works with clients to develop robust national and foreign patent portfolios, analyze freedom to operate, and perform due diligence assessments.
He holds a Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology with a focus on Synthetic Organic Chemistry, and was awarded a postdoctoral fellowship jointly at Harvard Medical School and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute under Nobel Laureate Dr. Jack Szostak.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Benjamin was a patent agent in the Boston office of a national law firm.
- American Chemical Society
- “Dovetailing Academia and IP Protection,” Chemistry 252/253 Seminar — University of California, Riverside, May 2017
- “Selecting for a Sequence-General RNA-based RNA-Helix Recognition Motif,” HHMI Janelia Farm - From the RNA World to the Clinic — Ashburn, VA, September 2010
- “Replacing Uridine with 2-Thiouridine Enhances the Rate and Fidelity of Nonenzymatic RNA primer Extension,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 137, 2769-2775, 2015
- “Crystal Structure Studies of RNA Duplexes Containing s2U:A and s2U:U Base Pairs,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 136, 13916-13924, 2014
- “Solution Structure of a Parallel-Stranded Oligoisoguanine DNA Pentaplex Formed by d[T(iG)4T] in the Presence of Cs+ Ions,” Angewandte Chemie Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 7952-7955
- “Combinatorial Synthesis of Thrombin-Binding Aptamers Containing iso-Guanine,” Journal of Combinatorial Chemistry, 11, 364-369, 2009
- “A Pre-RNA Candidate Revisited: Both Enantiomers of Flexible Nucleoside Triphosphates are DNA Polymerase Substrates,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 130, 412-413, 2008
- “Two Watson–Crick-like Metallo Base Pairs,” Organic Letters, 10, 1091-1094, 2008
- “An Alternative Nucleobase Code: Characterization of Purine–Purine DNA Double Helices Bearing Guanine–Isoguanine and Diaminopurine 7-Deaza-Xanthine Base Pairs,” ChemBioChem, 9, 2779-2783, 2008
- “Nonenzymatic Oligomerization of RNA by TNA Templates,” Organic Letters, 8, 5809-5811, 2006
- “A Purine-like Nickel(II) Base Pair for DNA,” Angewandte Chemie Int. Ed. 2005, 44, 1529-1532