Dr. Brian Novak is a patent attorney with an advanced degree in analytical chemistry. Brian provides his unique experience to due diligence, freedom to operate analysis, portfolio management and counseling, patent prosecution, and developing foreign filing strategies related to small molecules, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, polymers, analytical and diagnostic equipment, consumer goods, beverages, foodstuffs, optics, security systems, refuse processing, energy generation, building materials and heavy machinery. He also has experience in design patents. Brian serves clients of all sizes from sole inventors to multi-national corporations.
Brian completed his doctoral research in analytical chemistry under Nobel Laureate F. Sherwood Rowland and Donald Blake. The research focused on techniques using advanced gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, and cryogenics. He has presented on various research topics, including presentations at the American Diabetes Association's Annual Scientific Sessions. He was awarded the Peterson Student Research Bronze Medal by the Diabetes Technology Society and received numerous awards from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
Brian serves on the Executive Council at the University of California, Irvine Diabetes Center. Brian is also on the board of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation’s (JDRF) Orange County Chapter. In both roles, he focuses on promoting diabetes awareness and raising money for diabetes related research.
- Novak, B.J., Blake, D.R., Meinardi, S., Rowland, F.S., Pontello, A., Cooper, D.M., “Exhaled methyl nitrate as a noninvasive marker of hyperglycemia in type 1 diabetes” Galassetti, P.R.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 104(40): 15613-15618, 2007.
- Novak, B.J., Meinardi, S., Blake, D.R. “Methyl Chloride and the US Cigarette” Nicotine & Tobacco Research (In Press) 2008.
- Barletta, B.; Meinardi, S.; Simpson, I. J.; Atlas, E. L.; Beyersdorf, A. J.; Baker, A. K.; Blake, N. J.; Yang, M.; Midyett, J. R.; Novak, B. J.; et al, Characterization of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in Asian and north American pollution plumes during INTEX-B: identification of specific Chinese air mass tracers, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics (2009), 9(14/2), 5371-5388, 2009.
- Blake, Nicola J.; Campbell, J. Elliott; Vay, Stephanie A.; Fuelberg, Henry E.; Huey, L. Gregory; Sachse, Glen; Meinardi, Simone; Beyersdorf, Andreas; Baker, Angela; Barletta, Barbara; Midyett, Jason; Doezema, Lambert; Kamboures, Michael; McAdams, Jennifer; Novak, Brian; Rowland, F. Sherwood; Blake, Donald R., Carbonyl sulfide (OCS): large-scale distributions over North America during INTEX-NA and relationship to CO2, Journal of Geophysical Research, 113(D9), 2008.
- Galassetti, Pietro R.; Novak, Brian; Nemet, Dan; Rose-Gottron, Christie; Cooper, Dan M.; Meinardi, Simone; Newcomb, Robert; Zaldivar, Frank; Blake, Donald R., Breath Ethanol and Acetone as Indicators of Serum Glucose Levels: An Initial Report, Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics, 7(1), 115-123, 2005