Charles Lockwood is a partner in the energy, infrastructure and resources practice group in the London office. He assists clients with onshore and offshore energy projects globally, including those involving engineering and construction (EPC), drilling, oilfield services including subsea/subsurface operations, floating production, offshore wind and heavylift transportation and installation.
Charles has a wealth of experience of negotiating contracts, advising on risk management, providing project support and dispute avoidance advice and resolving disputes via informal negotiations, mediations and formal processes. He is an experienced English Court litigator and has arbitrated disputes under many of the internationally recognised Rules (ICC, LCIA, ICDR, UNCITRAL and LMAA). Many of the matters Charles assists with are technically complex and most have significant international dimensions, which often necessitate working closely with local lawyers and industry experts.
“An excellent team player with an extremely robust handle on the manifold complexities of the energy sector… one to watch.” Chambers & Partners
“A rising star who is described by clients as extremely bright and practical and always clear in his advice.” Chamber & Partners
Charles trained at the London office of an international law firm, qualifying in 1999 and becoming a partner in 2007.
- Acritas 2017 Star Lawyer
- “Attorney-Client Privilege - English Law/Texas Law” (co-presenter 2018)
- “Wilful Misconduct - When do those Carve-outs Really Apply in English Law?” - IADC Contracts and Risk Management Conference 2018
- “Convenience and Discretion – Issues around Termination for Convenience and Good Faith” 2016
- “Enforceable liquidated damages or unenforceable penalty” (co-presenter) 2016
- “Resolving Disputes. Managing Costs” 2015
- “Arbitration Agreements and Avoiding Disputes about Disputes” 2014
- “Framework Agreements, Standard Terms and Contract Problems” 2014
- “Back to Back Contracting – Mind the Gap(s)” 2013
- “Arbitration – Making the Right Choices” 2012
- “Are the actions of all employees attributable to a company?” 2012
- “EPC Contracts” 2012
- “Contract Interpretation” 2011
- “Risk and Liability in Offshore Contracts” (co-presenter) 2010
- Contributor to Dispute Resolution in the Energy Sector: A Practitioner’s Handbook – King (Globe Law and Business 2012)