David Weitman primarily represents lenders in the bankruptcy area, including banks, financial institutions, hedge funds, and acquirers of distressed debt. David counsels these parties relating to debtor-in-possession financing, loan review, lender liability prevention, perfection of liens, confirmation, lift of stay, and other bankruptcy proceedings. He has substantial experience in multi-lender debtor-in-possession financings, post-confirmation financing, cash collateral financings, secured transactions, debt restructurings, corporate reorganizations and workouts, acquiring businesses and assets out of bankruptcy, negotiating, structuring and drafting corporate litigation settlements and documentation, pre-bankruptcy workouts and pre-bankruptcy planning and strategies, prosecuting involuntary bankruptcies, and representing banks as indenture trustees in bankruptcy. In addition, he has been responsible for case management of bankruptcy, insolvency, and creditors' rights lawsuits prosecuted nationally and internationally.
David also counsels corporate and banking clients in real estate acquisition and development, construction, intellectual property, international letters of credit, computer agreements, leveraged buyouts and equipment leasing.
In recent years, David's practice has involved substantial work representing secured lenders in oilfield service and energy exploration and production company restructurings and bankruptcy proceedings.
David is listed on D Magazine's 2023, 2022, 2021, and 2017 Best Lawyers in Dallas list for Bankruptcy and Workout, and D Magazine's 2016 Best Lawyers in Dallas list for Banking and Finance. David was part of a team of K&L Gates lawyers in 2022 that won the 21st Annual M&A Advisor Awards in the category of Healthcare/Life Sciences Deal of the Year (between $10MM and $100MM). In February 2023, David was also part of another team of K&L Gates lawyers that won the 17th Annual Turnaround Award for Distressed M&A Deal of the Year ($25MM - $50MM).
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law in Dallas, 2024
Dallas Bar Association
American Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute
- Volunteer Judge preparing SMU Bankruptcy Moot Court Team for Annual Conrad B. Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition, with SMU Team winning First Place, February 2020
- Volunteer Judge preparing SMU Bankruptcy Moot Court Team for Annual Conrad B. Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition, with SMU Team winning First Place, February 2019
- Speaker, "Loan Workouts Presentation" to the American Bankers Association Graduate Commercial Lending School at Southern Methodist University, May 2016.
- Speaker, Dallas Bar Association, Bankruptcy Bar Section, "Debtor-In-Possession Financing, Local Practice and National Trends," April 2010.