Justin Leonelli is a senior associate in the firm’s Pittsburgh office. Justin focuses his practice on dispute resolution with an emphasis on construction and infrastructure, complex commercial litigation, international arbitration, and energy disputes.
As a part of his construction practice, Justin represents owners, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and design professionals in a variety of public and private construction disputes nationwide. He handles all construction-related claims, including delay claims, change order disputes, defective construction claims, mechanic’s lien claims, bonding disputes, differing site condition claims, among many others. In addition, Justin advises clients during all project phases, including contract negotiation and planning, procurement, project execution, and change order management.
In addition, Justin regularly represents clients in complex commercial litigation and international arbitration disputes involving breach of contract, UCC claims, fraud and business tort claims. Justin also has significant experience representing entities in the energy industry - including mid-stream entities, natural gas exploration companies, and coal burning facilities - in a variety of lawsuits arising from their operations.
Justin is a member of both the Hiring Committee and the Associates’ Committee for the Pittsburgh office.
Prior to joining the firm, Justin was an associate at a Pittsburgh-based law firm and an international law firm where he focused on construction, commercial litigation, and international arbitration. During law school, Justin worked as a legal intern for the nation’s largest provider of shared communications infrastructure.
- Allegheny County Council Proclamation
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Legal Research & Writing
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Advanced Legal Writing: Writing in Law Practice
- Best Appellate Brief in Academic Mock Appeal
- Society of Construction Law - North America, Regional Director – Delaware Valley Region
- Allegheny County Bar Association - Construction Section, Member
- Allegheny County Bar Association - Young Lawyers Division, Member
- New Century Careers, Director (2017-2021)
- Instant Communication and Advances in Technology: Exchanging Ethical Dilemmas and Increased Expectations for Convenience and Efficiency, Dean John J. Sciullo Fundamentals of Law Continuing Education Series, 25 April 2015.
Justin grew up in Youngstown, Ohio, where he attended Cardinal Mooney High School. He now resides in a northern suburb of Pittsburgh. In his spare time, Justin likes to golf and visit with family and friends.
- K&L Gates, AAA Amendments to the Commercial Arbitration Rules and Mediation Procedures (September 2022)
- Reed Smith, Global Construction Update: The Sustainability Issue, European Contracting Practices Present Challenges to U.S.-based Offshore Wind (June 2022)
- K&L Gates, COVID-19: Pennsylvania Construction Amid COVID-19 (April 2020)
- K&L Gates, An Overview of Pennsylvania’s New Arbitration Law (August 2019)
- “Amendments to Federal Rule of Evidence 902,” The Legal Intelligencer, 1 November 2017
- Dormant Commerce Clause Review of a Lifecycle Analysis Regulation: Rocky Mountain Farmers Union v. Corey, 3 JOULE ENERGY & ENVTL. L.J. 2, 11 November 2014