Keri Riemer is of counsel in the Asset Management and Investment Funds group. She provides guidance to investment managers and funds on a broad range of federal securities law issues, and has extensive experience representing registered investment companies and their advisers. With her experience as Senior Counsel at the Securities and Exchange Commission, in-house counsel at a large asset management firm and outside counsel at law firms, Keri brings a unique perspective to helping clients address legal and regulatory challenges relating to their business growth goals and operations.
Keri has routinely advised registered investment company and investment adviser clients on the formation of new funds, the registration of securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, investment adviser assignments, changes to, and the implementation of, investment strategies and policies, and examinations by the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Division of Examinations. She has also counseled a variety of clients in seeking exemptive relief from federal securities laws and rules, developing or modifying compliance programs (including policies relating to privacy and information sharing concerns), assessing the development and implementation of ESG-related investment strategies, addressing proposed and newly adopted SEC and FINRA rules and regulations, negotiating model manager agreements and contracts with third party service providers and vendors, and analyzing relationships bearing on director independence. In addition, Keri has worked on a variety of investment company status issues, including in connection with issuers of digital assets, special acquisition purpose companies (SPACs), and operating companies and funds seeking exemption from the definition of an “investment company."
Immediately prior to joining the firm, Keri served as Senior Counsel in the Chief Counsel’s Office in the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s Division of Investment Management. In that capacity, she worked on rulemaking and guidance affecting registered investment advisers, investment companies, and other securities issuers. She previously served as Executive Director & Assistant General Counsel for JPMorgan Asset Management, and as Counsel and an associate at other large law firms, where she focused on advising a broad range of registered investment companies, registered investment advisers and boards of directors/trustees.
- Named a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers Magazine (New York Metro area), 2013 and 2014.
- Member of the New York City Bar Association’s Committee on Investment Management Regulation, 2016-2019.
- Member of New York State Bar Association
- Board Member, American Friends of Reuth
- Co-Chair of ASPCA Leaders Council, 2016-2018
Keri has developed and presented numerous CLEs and webinars, including for industry groups, on a broad range of topics affecting asset managers, investment companies and other entities. Most recently:
- In March 2022, Keri presented on ESG regulatory developments in the U.K., Hong Kong and Japan at the ETFGI Global ETFs Insights Summit.
- In May 2022, Keri served as a panelist in a discussion of the SEC’s 2022 Examination Priorities, hosted by ACA Foreside.
- In June 2022, Keri moderated a panel presentation on the proposed ESG reforms for registered funds.
- In July 2022, Keri discussed ESG and sustainable investment developments in a webinar hosted and sponsored by YourStake.
- “Compliance Challenges in the Age of Crypto,” Investment Adviser Association Newsletter, October 2022
- “Should I Convert My Mutual Fund into an ETF?,” EisnerAmper, 13 July 2022