As a partner in the commercial dispute resolution department of K&L Gates, Lucy Williams is involved in all aspects of commercial dispute resolution including litigation, arbitration and mediation for a wide range of commercial clients including lawyers, accountants, auditors, financial advisers, directors, trustees, property developers, environmental consultants, energy and resources clients and insurers.
She acts on proceedings arising from commercial transactions, property dealings, mortgage/security arrangements, development schemes, trusts and environmental incidents. Lucy has handled a number of claims for banks and fund management businesses in their capacity as trustees of large superannuation funds. She does a significant amount of work in the defence of commercial claims against professionals including legal practitioners, financial advisers, brokers, accountants and auditors.
Lucy has considerable experience assisting clients navigate responses to notices and investigations including those issued by regulatory agencies and government bodies including ASIC, APRA, the ATO, the Tax Practitioners Board and the Legal Services Commissioner.
As a member of the insurance coverage group, she advises a range of risk conscious corporate clients on insurance strategies and on the legal implications of policy wordings. Lucy also advises policy holders seeking to maximise recoveries on disputed insurance claims.
Prior to joining the firm, Lucy worked in the insurance team at a national Australian law firm based in Sydney, from there she moved to join the commercial litigation team of a large global litigation firm in London.
- K&L Gates, winner of the Womens' Achievement Award for teamwork (2013)
- Law Society of New South Wales member
- Australian Insurance Law Association member
- "Limited Liability Scheme", Lawcover Conference, March 2022
- "Scope of Solicitors Duties in relation to Wills and Estates", Lawcover Conference, March 2023
- "So you think you have Limited Liability," LawCover Solicitor Conference, March 2014
- "Play the ball and not the player: Considerations for legal practitioners seeking personal costs orders", Law Society Journal, 4 August 2023
- "Solicitors' duties to remind clients", Law Society Journal, 2 June 2023
- "Foreign Surcharges Update: Exemptions for New Zealand, Finland, Germany and South Africa," Law Society Journal, 14 April 2023
- "Managing Risk and Implied Undertakings," Law Society Journal, 11 November 2022
- "The Limited Retainer - Carving out Property Taxes," Law Society Journal, October 2021
- "Company Directors Personally Liable for GST," Law Society Journal, July 2020
- "Dealing with Unrepresented Litigants," Law Society Journal, 15 November 2018
- "Real Property Changes: Risk Management Tips for Solicitors," Law Society Journal, February 2017
- “Key Principles of Privilege & Waiver of Privilege,” Law Society Journal, September 2016
- "Social Media and Your Practice: Playing it Smart," Law Society Journal, March 2016