Matthew Weldon is a partner in the firm’s New York office and is a member of the international arbitration group. He focuses his practice primarily on international dispute resolution, and has extensive experience conducting international commercial arbitrations, investment treaty arbitrations, and acting in complex cross-border litigation. Matthew also counsels a variety of businesses on structuring and strategies related to international disputes resolution, and he provides commercial legal advice to foreign companies conducting business in the United States.
Matthew has served as counsel in arbitrations conducted under the rules of the ICC, AAA, ICDR, SIAC, LCIA, ICSID and UNCITRAL, and in litigation before state and federal courts. Matthew is an advisory board member of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration and editor of the World Arbitration and Mediation Review (now ITA in Review), and is actively involved as a speaker and author in connection to various other international dispute resolution working groups and publications.
Matthew’s experience spans a variety of sectors, including construction, distribution, finance, manufacturing, mining, oil and gas, sovereigns, technology, and transportation, as well as a number of legal areas, including commercial contracts, intellectual property, joint ventures, licensing, and treaties.
Prior to joining the firm, Matthew was a partner in the New York office of a large U.S. law firm. In 2009, he was a visiting researcher at Oxford University, Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, focusing on comparative legal studies and international arbitration. In addition, Matthew completed the Annenberg-Oxford Media Policy Summer Institute, University of Oxford / University of Pennsylvania in 2007.
- Super Lawyers – Rising Stars, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Global Advisory Board (GAB) of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution’s Young & International group.
- Advisory Board, Institute for Transnational Arbitration
- Editorial Board, ITA in Review
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF)
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
- Young SIAC
- Speaker, International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution, India Supplement to the CRP Corporate Counsel Manual for Cross Border Dispute Resolution (2019)
- How to Know and Understand Arbitrators from Chinese, Asian and Global Perspectives - CYAG / ICDR Y&I Beijing (2017)
- ICDR Y&I Roundtable @ FDI Moot Regional Rounds Seoul (2017)
- ICDR & ICDR Y&I Tertulia: Deliberating the Deliberations - The ICDR Miami International Arbitration Conference (2016)
- Oil & Gas Arbitration: A Primer on Dispute Resolution Clauses for Transactional Lawyers - ICDR / AIPN Dispute Resolution Conference (2014)
- Program Chair, Understanding Necessary Regulatory and Legal Frameworks for the Mineral, Petroleum and Natural Gas Sectors - 2014 ABA Section of International Law "Doing Business in Africa" Teleconference Series (2014)
- Moderator, Trends in International Arbitration and Mediation Panel - Cardozo School of Law Journal of Conflict Resolution Spring 2014 Symposium (2014)
- Visiting Scholar, Oxford University
- How To Prep For Investor-State Disputes Related To COVID-19 [Law360]
- Corporate Counsel Manuel for Cross-Border Dispute Resolution in India [CPR 2019]
- Using Anti-Suit Injunction to Enforce Arbitration Agreements [Law360]
- China’s Belt & Road Initiative: A Conversation with Dr Gabriel Lentner on Investment Protection
- Suit Injunctions and Anti-Arbitration Injunctions in the US Enjoining Foreign Proceedings [Practical Law]
- The Year in Review (2015) [ABA Section of International Law and Practice]
- The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2014 (7th Edition)
- The Year in Review 2013 - An Annual Survey of International Legal Developments [ABA]
- Mentioned, "Romania Says It Already Paid Swedish Food Investors' Award," Appellate Law360, Food & Beverage Law360, and International Arbitration Law360, 19 May 2021
- Mentioned, "Court Erred By Ruling Payment In Romania Didn't Satisfy Award, D.C. Circuit Told," Mealey's Litigation Procedure, 18 May 2021