Matthew Weldon is a practice group coordinator of K&L Gates’ International Arbitration group. His practice focuses on international commercial and treaty arbitration, complex international commercial litigation, and public international law.
With nearly fifteen years of experience, Matt has argued before arbitration tribunals sitting around the world, as well federal and state courts throughout the United States. He has been lead counsel in over fifty litigations, mediations and arbitrations, and has deep expertise representing both sovereigns and multinational companies. He has experience with all of the major arbitration rules, including those of the ICC, AAA, JAMS, ICDR, HKIAC, SIAC, SCC, LCIA, ICSID and UNCITRAL. Matthew's arbitration and litigation experience spans a wide variety of sectors, including construction, foreign investment, mining, oil and gas, renewables, life sciences, manufacturing and distribution, finance, real estate, technology, and transportation.
Matt is consistently identified as a leader in his field by major legal directories, and has been recognized in Chambers USA and Best Lawyers®. In Chambers USA (2022), clients noted his strategic excellence and reported that “Matt is incredibly dedicated and resourceful,” “well versed with dispute resolution procedures,” and “his responsiveness is impressive.” Given that some of his assignments are high-profile and deal with cutting-edge issues, he and his work have been regularly featured in Global Arbitration Review, Investment Arbitration Reporter, Mealey's International Arbitration Report, and Law360.
Matt is also deeply involved in the area of international dispute resolution beyond the matters he handles for clients. He is an advisory board member of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration and a member of the Board of Directors of the New York International Arbitration Center. For over five years, he was an editor of ITA in Review and World Arbitration and Mediation Review. He is actively involved as a speaker and author, and he has published with and been featured by many of the leading legal publishing organizations and arbitration institutions.
Prior to joining K&L Gates in 2016, he was a partner at a large US based international firm. He has also been a visiting researcher at Oxford University, Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, focusing on comparative legal and international arbitration, and has drafted laws for Somaliland.
- Advisory Board, Institute for Transnational Arbitration (2014-present)
- Board of Directors, New York International Arbitration Center (NYIAC) (2021-present)
- Editorial Board, ITA in Review - f/k/a World Arbitration and Mediation Review (2015-2021)
- Global Advisory Board of the ICDR's Young & International (2017-2019)
- Advisory Board, Lex:lead
- "US-German Post-M&A Disputes – A Moderated Discussion on Cross-Atlantic Perspectives," DIS@NYAW 2023, 14 November 2023
- Union Internationale des Avocats, Investor-State Disputes Arising from the Pandemic Webinar (2021)
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution, India Supplement to the CRP Corporate Counsel Manual for Cross Border Dispute Resolution, New York (2019)
- How to Know and Understand Arbitrators from Chinese, Asian and Global Perspectives - CYAG / ICDR Y&I, Beijing (2017)
- ICDR Y&I Roundtable @ FDI Moot Regional Rounds, Seoul (2017)
- ICDR & ICDR Y&I Tertulia: Deliberating the Deliberations - The ICDR Miami International Arbitration Conference (2016)
- Oil & Gas Arbitration: A Primer on Dispute Resolution Clauses for Transactional Lawyers - ICDR / AIPN Dispute Resolution Conference, Calgary (2014)
- The Guide to M&A Arbitration: United States [Global Arbitration Review]
- How To Prep For Investor-State Disputes Related To COVID-19 [Law360]
- Corporate Counsel Manuel for Cross-Border Dispute Resolution in India [CPR 2019]
- Using Anti-Suit Injunction to Enforce Arbitration Agreements [Law360]
- China’s Belt & Road Initiative: A Conversation with Dr Gabriel Lentner on Investment Protection
- Suit Injunctions and Anti-Arbitration Injunctions in the US Enjoining Foreign Proceedings [Practical Law]
- The Year in Review (2015) [ABA Section of International Law and Practice]
- The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2014 (7th Edition)
- The Year in Review 2013 - An Annual Survey of International Legal Developments [ABA]
- Mentioned, "EU Says €291M Arbitration Award Violates European Law," Law360, 3 June 2022
- Mentioned, "Romania Seeks Relief From Award After CJEU Ruling As It Appeals Sanctions," Mealey's Litigation Procedure, 1 April 2022
- Mentioned, "Spain fails to annul largest renewables award," Global Arbitration Review, 28 March 2022
- Mentioned, "Romania Requests Interpretation of 2013 Micula Award in Light of Ongoing US Enforcement Proceedings," Investment Arbitration Reporter, 7 March 2022
- Mentioned, "Panama faces billion-dollar claim over mining project," Global Arbitration Review, 6 October 2021
- Mentioned, "Law360 Names Attys Who Moved Up The Firm Ranks In Q2," Law360, 18 August 2021
- Mentioned, "Romania Says It Already Paid Swedish Food Investors' Award," Appellate Law360, Food & Beverage Law360, and International Arbitration Law360, 19 May 2021
- Mentioned, "Court Erred By Ruling Payment In Romania Didn't Satisfy Award, D.C. Circuit Told," Mealey's Litigation Procedure, 18 May 2021