Melissa Haulcomb, Ph.D. is an intellectual property lawyer in the Chicago office with technical experience in the life sciences, including neuroscience, in vivo pharmacology, immunology, pathology, animal behavior, psychiatric disorders, diagnostics, bioanalytics, cell culture, molecular biology, gene expression, and various aspects of the pre-clinical phase of drug development.
Melissa currently works on both patent prosecution and intellectual property litigation matters.
Prior to attending law school, Melissa has worked as an analytical chemist at a major pharmaceutical company, as a scientific researcher for a clinical chemistry laboratory, completed two post-doctoral fellowships at Indiana University, and was a scientific project leader for a biotech startup company developing therapeutics for post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Molecular Biology Technologist Certification, American Society for Clinical Pathology, 2013
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Panelist at the 2019 Midwest Taiwanese Biotechnology Symposium
- Platform Session Speaker at the 2010 Experimental Biology Conference
- “Methods For Using Natural Compounds Can Be Patent-Eligible,” Law360, 6 May 2019
- Li, L.P., Dustrude, E.T., Haulcomb, M.M., Abreu, A.R., Fitz S.D., Johnson P.L., Thakur G.A., Molosh, A.I., Lai, Y., Shekhar, A. PSD95 and nNOS Interaction as a novel molecular target to modulate conditioned fear: relevance to PTSD. Translational Psychiatry. 2018 Aug. 14; 8(1): 155. PMID: 30108200.
- Stetter, D.O., Haulcomb, M.M., Beahrs, T., Meadows, R.M., Schartz, N.D., Custer, S.K., Sanders, V.M., Jones, K.J. Identification of a resilient mouse facial motoneuron population following target disconnection by injury or disease. Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience. 2018; 36(3):417-422. PMID: 29614705.
- Haulcomb, M.M., Meadows, R.M., Miller, W.M., McMillan, K.P., Hilsmeyer, M.J., Wang, X., Beaulieu, W.T., Dickinson, S.L., Brown, T.J., Sanders, V.M., Jones, K.J. Locomotor analysis identifies early compensatory changes during disease progression and subgroup classification in a mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neural Regeneration Research. 2017 Oct.; 12(10):1664-1679. PMID: 29171432.
- Stetter, D.O., Runge, E.M., Schartz, N.D., Kennedy, F.M., Brown, B.L., McMillan, K.P., Miller, W.M., Shah, K.M., Haulcomb, M.M., Sanders, V.M., Jones, K.J. Impact of peripheral immune status on central molecular responses to facial nerve axotomy. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity. 2018 Feb.; 68:98-110. PMID: 29030217.
- Hickman, D.L, Fitz, S.D., Bernabe, C.S., Caliman, I.F., Haulcomb, M.M., Federici, L.M., Shekhar, A., Johnson, P.L. Evaluation of low versus high volume per minute displacement CO2 methods of euthanasia in the induction and duration of panic-associated behavior and physiology. Animals. 2016 Aug. 2; 6(8). pii. E45. PMID: 27490573.
- Haulcomb, M.M., Mesnard-Hoaglin, N.A., Batka, R.J., Meadows, R.M., Miller, W.M., McMillan, K.P., Brown, T.J., Sanders, V.M., Jones, K.J. Identification of B6SJL mSOD1G93A mouse subgroups with different disease progression rates. Journal of Comparative Neurology. 2015 Dec 15; 523(18):2752-68. PMID: 26010802.
- Olmstead, D.N., Mesnard-Hoaglin, N.A., Batka, R.J., Haulcomb, M.M., Miller, W.M., Jones, K.J. Facial nerve axotomy in mice: a model to study motoneuron response to injury. Journal of Visualized Experiments. 2015 Feb. 23; (96):e52382. PMID: 25742324.
- Batka, R.J., Brown, T.J., McMillan, K.P., Meadows, R.M., Jones, K.J. Haulcomb, M.M. The need for speed in rodent locomotion analyses. Anatomical Record. 2014 Oct.; 297(10):1839-64. PMID: 24890945.
- Mesnard-Hoaglin, N.A., Xin, J., Haulcomb, M.M., Batka, R.J., Sanders, V.M., Jones, K.J. SOD1G93A transgenic mouse CD4+ T cells mediate neuroprotection after facial nerve axotomy when removed from a suppressive peripheral microenvironment. Brain, behavior, and immunity. 2014 Aug.; 40:55-60. PMID: 24911596.
- Haulcomb, M.M., Mesnard, N.A., Batka, R.J., Alexander T.D., Sanders, V.M., Jones, K.J. Axotomy-induced target disconnection promotes an additional death mechanism involved in motoneuron degeneration in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis transgenic mice. Journal of Comparative Neurology. 2014 Jul. 1; 522(10):2349-76. PMID: 24424947.
- Mesnard, N.A., Haulcomb, M.M., Tanzer, L., Sanders, V.M., Jones, K.J. Delayed functional recovery in presymptomatic mSOD1G93A mice following facial nerve crush axotomy. Journal of Neurodegeneration and Regeneration. 2013 Fall; 4(1):21-25. PMID: 24672589.
- Xin, J., Mesnard, N.A., Wainwright, D.A., Haulcomb, M.M., Beahrs, T.R., Sanders, V.M., Jones, K.J. Immune-mediated neuroprotection: relevance to motoneuron trauma and disease. Proceedings (P212) of the XXII Int. Symp. on Morphological Sciences (ISMS, 2012, Sao Paulo, Brazil). Medimond - Monduzzi Editore.