Michael Gearin concentrates his practice in insolvency, workouts and commercial reorganizations. His practice is broad based, encompassing transactional, litigation and other advice in the insolvency and creditors rights arenas. He represents debtors, creditors' committees, secured creditors, purchasers, and trustees in Chapter 11 cases. He represents secured creditors, purchasers and receivers in state law receivership proceedings, and has experience in real estate workouts and bankruptcies. He has substantial experience in the resolution of Ponzi schemes through the Chapter 11 plan confirmation process. He has significant experience in the representation of pension interests in municipal bankruptcy cases. He has represented debtors and purchasers in complex asset sales transactions in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
Michael is a past chair of the Seattle-King County Bar Association Bankruptcy Section, is a panel mediator under the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Washington's mediation program, and has been a frequent speaker at professional seminars on municipal bankruptcy, Chapter 11 plan confirmation, Ponzi cases in bankruptcy and other bankruptcy issues.
- Selected by Best Lawyers in America every year since 2014 (Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law)
- Ranked in Chambers USA - Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2012 - 2020)
- Selected as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Selected to the Washington Super Lawyers List for Bankruptcy (2014 – 2019)
- Selected as one of the Top Attorneys in Washington by Seattle Met Magazine
- Past President, Seattle King County Bar Association, Debtor-Creditor Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute Committee on Real Estate
- American Bankruptcy Institute Committee on Legislative Developments
- Creditor-Debtor Section, Washington State Bar
- Bankruptcy Section, Western District of Washington Federal Bar Association
- Military Experience: Captain, United States Marine Corps, Helicopter Pilot