Michael Hain is an experienced partner with a demonstrated history of over 25 years in value-adding and delivering solutions for clients in real estate transactions, large scale brown fields and green fields project delivery, property funds transactions, tenure and access issues. The experience has been gained across a diverse range of client and project types including in residential, retail, commercial, agricultural, industrial and resources projects, and is backed with a strong and sound commercial and legal grounding.
Michael believes in providing value-add for clients by taking the initiative, being responsive and adopting an astute, commercially balanced and solutions based approach. He communicates in a clear and straightforward manner to attain successful outcomes.
His clients include listed corporate, government and private clients and receivers and managers.
Ethical supply chains and modern slavery
Michael is the Perth office lead for the global ethical supply chain and modern slavery group. This group focuses on assisting clients with global legal responses to modern slavery, including under the Australian Modern Slavery Act 2018 (Cth) For entities (with annual consolidated revenue of at least AUD100 million, that are Australian or are carrying on business in they are required to report annually to government and the public against mandatory criterion for the assessment of supply chain modern slavery risks and their actions in response. Modern slavery exists in many forms including forced labour, wage exploitation, involuntary servitude, debt bondage, human trafficking and child labour.
Prior to joining the firm in early 2013, Michael was a partner at a large Australian national law firm.
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Construction and Infrastructure Law (2017-present)
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Leasing Law (2021-present)
- Perth office lead for the K&L Gates Global Ethical Supply Chain & Modern Slavery group
- Board Member of the Edith Cowan University School of Business Law's Advisory Board
- Governor, Council of Governors of the American Chamber of Commerce in WA (AmCham) - 2015 to present
- Member, Governance Institute of Australia (GIA) - 2018 to present
- A regular volunteer of pro bono assistance for Dressed for Success, an international not for profit organisation which provides assistance for disadvantaged and long term unemployed women to secure their long term employment - 2008 - present
- Moderator and presenter: "Why the New Modern Slavery Laws Are Likely to Impact Your Business", with panellists Jenn Morris (Walk Free Foundation), Fiona Lawrie (Wesfarmers) and Dr. Mark Andrich (Sustainable Platform), April 2019.
- Event Chairperson, Law Society CPD Seminar, "Modern Slavery: what it means for your clients", Perth, March 2019
- K&L Gates National Leasing Seminar Series (Part 1 and 2), August and October 2016
- Author, K&L Gates Web Self Survey Tool, "Are you caught by Modern Slavery laws?", April 2019