Nick Ruskin is a partner in the labour, employment, and workplace safety practice. He approaches workplace issues in an efficient, forthright and practical way. His enthusiasm for these areas of law is a hallmark of his practice. Nick has a preference for resolving disputes rather than engaging in unnecessary, technical and usually dissatisfying long game litigation.
His experience lies in healthcare, education, the public sector, retail and service industries with particular expertise in employment claims including workplace complaints and investigations, termination and discrimination law claims, labour disputes and advocacy before Tribunals.
Nick has been engaged from time to time as an external consultant to the International Labour Organisation (ILO) in Geneva, New York and Bangkok and has addressed an ILO forum at the United Nations on Australian labour standards.
He is active in human resources circles. He was Convenor of the Employee Relations Interest Group of the Australian Human Resources Institute (AHRI) (Victoria) for over two decades. He was awarded the 2013 AHRI Medal for services to the human resources sector.
Nick is a regular and popular speaker and commentator at professional conferences on labour relations and employment law.
He is an accredited mediator.
He is on the ER/IR National Advisory Panel of AHRI. He was a member of the Legal Profession Reference Group, an advisory body to the President of the Fair Work Commission, Justice IJK Ross.
Prior to legal practice, Nick worked as labour relations practitioner for several organisations and regularly appeared before industrial tribunals.
Before joining the firm, Nick was a partner and national practice leader of a leading employment law practice in Australia and New Zealand.
- Recognized by Chambers-Asia Pacific for Employment in Australia (2022-present)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in Australia™ for Employee Benefits Law (2021-present), Labour and Employment Law (2008-present)
- Doyle's Guide, recommended as a Leading Employment (Employer Representation) Lawyer in Victoria (2013-present) and recommended as a Leading Workplace Health & Safety Lawyer in Victoria (2018 and 2019)
- Experts Guide, listed in the World's Leading Labour and Employment Lawyers
- Who's Who Legal, recognised as a Global Leader in Labour & Employment (2021, 2022) and a National Leader in Australia - Labour, Employment & Benefits (2020, 2022, 2023)
- Member of Australian Human Resources Institute
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Pro-bono lawyer to several organisations
Nick is a regular contributor to human resources and legal journals and is on the editorial panel of the legal publication Inhouse Counsel.
- “Compliance in the New World of Workplace Relations: Safeguarding Yourself, Your Organisation and Your Employees,” National Convention & Exhibition 2023, Australian HR Institute, 8 August 2023
- “Unions, Regulators and Employers: Keep Calm and Carry On,” National Convention & Exhibition 2023, Australian HR Institute, 9 August 2023
- Quoted, "Three Secure Jobs Bill changes that are about to come into effect", HRM, 26 April 2023
- Quoted, “How the Secure Jobs, Better Pay Bill will impact flexible work,” HRM, 23 January 2023