Nikolaos Peristerakis is a partner in the firm’s Brussels office. He is a member of the Antitrust, Competition & Trade Regulation practice group.
Nick has more than 20 years of experience advising and representing clients in merger control and antitrust investigations. He has handled the EU and global merger clearance process for hundreds of public M&A, joint venture and private equity transactions. He has also led or co-led numerous high-profile Phase I remedy and Phase II cases before the European Commission and globally. Nick has also handled several complex antitrust and abuse of dominance matters before the European Commission. Key matters include the representation of a leading semiconductor company in the first interim measures case in more than two decades imposed by the European Commission in an abuse of dominance proceeding, and the representation of a major Wall Street bank in the European Commission’s Credit Default Swaps investigation (GCR Behavioral Matter of the Year in 2016). Nick has represented clients in a wide range of sectors, technology, digital platforms, semiconductors, telecoms, media, aerospace, basic industries, consumer goods, food and beverage, nuclear energy, pharmaceuticals and the financial sector, among others.
Nick has been regularly recognized as a leading competition attorney by Global Competition Review's Who's Who Legal (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 and 2020) and Legal 500, and a “future leader” by Global Competition Review. In 2017, clients told GCR that Nick was “great lawyer able to deal quickly with very complex issues raised by significant cases.” In 2018, clients stated that Nick was “knowledgeable and insightful” and “an impressive sparring partner on contentious issues”. In 2020, clients told GCR that Nick was “a truly brilliant legal mind, undoubtedly one of the highest skilled lawyers we have seen working on merger control” and “a very experienced practitioner with a team oriented working style, coupled with a strong ability to translate complicated legal issues into concrete solutions for clients.” More recently, the 2020 edition of Legal 500 singled Nick out as someone with “very solid experience in merger control work and beyond” and “very responsive and provides well-balanced and practically useful advice.”
Prior to joining the firm, Nikolaos served as counsel with a major Wall Street firm and a Magic Circle firm, where he played a leading role in numerous complex transactions and abuse of dominance investigations.
- Member of the antitrust (unilateral conduct) working group of the International Bar Association
- ECN+: EU Practitioner’s View, International Bar Association Stockholm, June 3, 2022
- Efficiencies: a Practitioner’s Perspective, Ithaca Chilling Competition Conference, August 2018
- Mega-Mergers: Key Considerations To Get Your Deal Through (Competition Policy International, Inc., May 2016)
- The Commission’s merger enforcement in mobile mergers: brave new world for non-coordinated effects? (Competition Policy International, November 2015)
- "Best Practices for the Conduct of Antitrust Procedures: Further Thoughts" (Competition Policy International, Inc., April 2010)