Patrick Perrone, a partner in K&L Gates’ Newark office, is a trial lawyer and concentrates his practice on construction and product defect matters. He is an experienced litigator who has handled hundreds of cases involving consumer/building products and construction defects in state and federal courts throughout the country. He is also an experienced class action attorney and has defended a variety of consumer/building products class action suits in courts throughout the country. His clients include major developers, homebuilders, and product manufacturers.
Patrick is a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED®-AP). Additionally, Patrick has been recognized as a New Jersey Super Lawyer from 2004 - 2019.
Patrick started his career in the New York County District Attorney’s office where he investigated and prosecuted misdemeanors and felonies, and presented cases to the Grand Jury. As an attorney in the Trial Bureau, he tried over 20 cases to verdict. Prior to joining K&L Gates, Patrick was a partner at a Newark law firm, where he focused his practice on civil litigation.
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Class Actions Committee
Patrick frequently speaks on issues regarding consumer/building products and construction issues. His recent presentations include:
- “Construction Defect Defenses: Loss Mitigation, Economic Waste, Right to Repair, Betterment Doctrine,” Strafford, August 3, 2022.
- "Green Construction Materials: Mitigating Risks, Reps and Warranties, Defective Sustainable Materials,” Strafford, June 1, 2022.
- “Latest Developments in Class Action Litigation,” New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting and Convention 2015, May 14, 2015.
- “New Jersey Law Update: Are Your Arbitration Provisions Enforceable?” Association of Corporate Counsel New Jersey CLE program, April 21, 2015.
- “Construction Product Litigation and Class Actions,” HarrisMartin Group, October 25, 2013.
- “Hot Topics in Construction Defect Litigation,” Leading Builders of America General Counsels Meeting, November 15, 2012.
- “Developing Issues in Green Building,” American Law Institute, February 28, 2012.
- “LEED Certification Litigation – Emerging Risks,” Strafford Publications, Inc., December 20, 2011.
- “How to Market Green Buildings and Materials: Complying with Applicable Green Standards and Laws,” 2010 International Builders' Show, January 2010.
- “A Manufacturer’s Potential Liability for Green Building Products,” National Association of Homebuilders, Fall Directors Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, October 2009.
- “Green Building Legal and Liability Issues,” 2009 National Green Building Conference, May 2009.
- “New Regulations and Potential Liability,” Law Seminars International: Legal and Regulatory Issues in Green Development, January 2009.
- “Green Building Products: Can They Perform As Promised,” The 2009 International Builders’ Show, January 2009.
- “Extrapolation of Damages,” Brookings Judicial Symposium on Construction Defect Litigation, March 2008.
- “Using Statistics and Statistical Analysis to Combat the Plaintiff’s Damage Claims,” Construction Law Seminar, Scottsdale, Arizona, September 6-7, 2007.
- “Expert Testimony and Scientific Evidence in Construction Defects Cases,” The Judicial Education Program AEI-Brookings Joint Center for Regulatory Studies Judicial Symposium on Critical Issues in Construction Defects Litigation, March 2006 and March 2007.
- “Useful, Safe and Effective Terms and Conditions for Invoices, Contracts and Other Important Documents,” The 2005 National Manufacturing Week Conference, March 2005.
- “Developments and Decisions in Construction Defect & Mold Litigation,” Mealey's Construction Defect and Mold Litigation Conference, December 2004.
- “New Jersey Legislature Amends Statute of Limitations for Defect Claims Brought by Condominium and Homeowners’ Associations,” Real Estate Finance Journal, Fall 2022
- “NJ Consumer Contract Act Questions May Soon Get Answers,” Law360, 22 November 2019
- “Why NJ Supreme Court OK'd Allotting Fault To Phantom Foes,” Law360, 3 May 2018
- “Class Action Defendants Hit the Bull's-eye with 'Dart,'” New Jersey Law Journal, June 29, 2015.
- “The Many Perils Of Going Green,” Construction Law, Connecticut Law Tribune, July 2008.
- “Is Expert Extrapolation in Construction Defect Cases Sufficiently Reliable?” Mealey’s Litigation Report: Construction Defects, April 2006.
- “Molds: A Comprehensive Guide to Litigating Mold Damage and Injury Cases: An Overview of Mold Litigation in New Jersey,” Lawyer’s and Judges Publishing Co., January 2004.
- “A Landlord’s Quandary: Whether to Disclose Mold Remediation,” Multi-Housing News, January 2003.
- “Spoliation of Evidence in a Mold Case,” Mealey’s Litigation Report: Mold, August 2001.
- “Finding Insurance Coverage for Mold Litigation,” Mealey’s Litigation Report: Mold, March 2001.