Raja Bose leads the firm’s commercial disputes and international arbitration practice in Asia and has more than 20 years of experience in international dispute resolution and has worked in both London and Singapore. He is qualified both as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore as well as admitted as a Solicitor of England and Wales.
He is also a qualified arbitrator and is a fellow of both the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators of the UK as well as of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators. Raja is on the panel of arbitrators of a number of arbitration institutions including the SIAC, KLRCA, ICA, and HKIAC. He is also a Board Member and Director of the UK Chartered Institute of Arbitrators – Singapore Branch.
Raja has experience conducting international arbitrations with seats in Singapore, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Vietnam, China, India, Dubai, Malaysia, London, Paris, Geneva, and New York under a variety of trade association and international arbitration centre rules including UNCITRAL, LCIA, LMAA, GAFTA, CIETAC, BANI, HKIAC, KLRCA, SIAC, ICC, AAA, VIAC, and ICSID.
Whilst his practice focuses on international commercial dispute resolution with an emphasis on international arbitration, he also has considerable experience supervising, coordinating, and managing complex court-based litigation in a wide number of countries in the Middle East, Africa, and the Asia-Pacific region including South Asia, Indo-China, and South-East Asia.
In addition to his experience in cross-border multi-jurisdictional disputes in infrastructure, construction, shipping, marine insurance, oil and gas, international sale of goods, trade finance, and mortgage enforcement, Raja has also been involved in a number of high profile investor/state disputes and investment treaty arbitrations including defending the Governments of India and Bangladesh as well as pursuing actions on behalf of foreign investors against the Governments of Thailand, Egypt, and Sri Lanka.
Raja also spends a considerable amount of his time providing strategic and structuring advice to clients involved in difficult and complex problems in Asia which do not necessarily involve formal legal proceedings.
- Construction, Engineering & Infrastructure with an emphasis on oil and gas, offshore drilling contracts, MOPU/FPSO construction and design, construction, ship building and engineering claims, technical equipment failures, and design defects
- International Trade, Commodities & Resources with an emphasis on international sale of goods and services, shipping and maritime claims, and vessel mortgage enforcement
- Investment Funds & Financial Services with an emphasis on investment fund disputes
- General Corporate Commercial claims with an emphasis on shareholder and M&A disputes, distributor agreements, joint ventures, licensing disputes
- Bilateral & Multilateral Investment Treaties with an emphasis on defending host governments in Asia
- Anti-Corruption/ Trust Investigations & Compliance with an emphasis on FCPA and UK Bribery Act
- Recognised as a leading lawyer in Chambers Asia Pacific since 2014 in Asia-Pacific Region, Arbitration (International); Singapore
- Listed as a Leading Individual in International Arbitration in the 2015 to 2019 editions of Asia Pacific Legal 500.
- Recognized as one of Singapore's leading Arbitration and Mediation, as well as International Arbitration lawyers in the Best Lawyers list published since 2013.
- Awarded the 2012 Commercial Arbitration Law Firm of the Year – Singapore by Finance Monthly Global Awards in association with Standard Chartered Bank.
- K&L gates offers "good responsiveness and quality service” and Raja Bose is “client and results oriented”. The firm's core strengths in arbitration cover construction, infrastructure, energy and transport. – Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2013.
- Singapore-based Raja Bose has nearly two decades of experience. He is described as a "highly rated lawyer with integrity and a very busy practice" and of late has been handling a large number of oil and gas matters in Asia. – Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2012.
- Raja Bose has more than 18 years of experience in international arbitration and cross-border commercial litigation, working in both London and Singapore. According to clients, "he has a sound commercial mind, incredible capacity for hard work and a single-mindedness about achieving the desired outcome for the client." – Chambers Asia Pacific, 2012.
- “The former practice head at Watson, Farley & Williams LLP who brings clarity and focus to difficult cases”. – Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2011.
- Previously head of Watson, Farley & Williams' Singapore dispute resolution practice, Raja Bose has moved to K&L Gates, where he continues to handle disputes arising out of construction, drilling, pipelines and subsea exploration contracts as well as dry shipping work. “He is switched on and sensible as well as knowledgeable on oil and gas matters and familiar with dispute resolution structures all over Asia”. – Chambers Asia, 2010
- Named by Asia Legal Business as one of ALB's Hot 100 lawyers in 2009/10 and described as 'astute'.
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (2010)
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (2009)
- Committee Member, Practice Development Committee, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Singapore Branch) (2010)
- Panel Arbitrator: SIAC, SIAC-DC; Futures Contracts, Indian Council of Arbitration, KLRCA, PIAC
- Solicitor of England & Wales (1995)
- Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (1993)
- International Bar Association
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of Singapore
- London Shipping Law Centre
- Society of Construction Law, Singapore
- Chinese European Arbitration Centre
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution
- IQPC Annual FPSO Congress, Singapore 2010 – International Arbitration of FPSO Construction & Engineering Disputes
- SIAC/PIAC Conference in International Commercial Arbitration, Ho Chi Minh City 2010 – The New SIAC 2010 Rules
- PetroVietnam, Hanoi 2010 – The New SIAC 2010 Rules with a focus on energy/construction engineering disputes
- Red Carpet World FPSO Conversion & Floating LNG Conference, Kuala Lumpur 2010 – International arbitration/dispute resolution of issues arising from FPSO conversion disputes
- IBA Conference on Arbitration in the 21st Century: Making it Work, New Delhi 2009
- HKIAC Conference on Arbitration & the Financial Crisis, Hong Kong 2009 – Invoking Investment Treaty Arbitrations – Financial Instruments and Case Updates
- ABF Conference on Oil & Gas Legal & Regulatory Challenges, Kuala Lumpur 2009 – International Arbitration of Oil & Gas Construction Disputes
- IBC Conference on Cross border Arbitration & Dispute Resolution, London 2009 – Are the main recent legislative and case law developments improving arbitration?
- ICMA, Singapore 2006 – Enforcement of International Arbitration Awards in Asia – Paying Lip service to the New York Convention
- “Singapore: International Arbitration,” The In-House Lawyer, 4th edition, Autumn 2019
- "Taking on the State – Enforcement of judgment and awards against Sovereign States," Asia MENA Counsel Magazine, December 2011
- "The Challenges Facing International Arbitration in 2010 & Beyond – Part II – What is happening in Asia?," Singapore Law Gazette, 2010
- "The Challenges facing International Arbitration in 2010 and beyond – Part I," Singapore Law Gazette, 2010
- "Interim Measures: Amendments to the UNCITRAL Model Law & the International Arbitration Act," SIAC, Singapore, 2010
- "Enforcement of International Arbitration Awards in Asia – Paying Lip service to the New York Convention," ICMA, Singapore, 2006
- Listed among “The 2022 International A-List” in the India Business Law Journal, April 2022