A strong litigation team is essential to address conventional as well as emerging real estate issues, especially with evolving demand for commercial office or retail space, industrial and warehouse space, and market fluctuations influencing deal terms and expectations. With significant experience on some of the largest, most complex engagements in the United States, and litigation around the world, our Real Estate Litigation team is equipped to resolve any kind of real estate-related dispute across our global platform.
Our extensive experience includes arbitrations, administrative proceedings, jury and bench trials, and appeals. While we actively counsel clients on ways to prevent litigation, when it does occur, we aggressively advocate for our clients’ positions.
Our team combines broad jurisdictional coverage and thorough local knowledge to deliver results in municipal, state, and federal courts. We deploy forum-specific procedural tools, including motions for provisional injunctions and accelerated judgment, where necessary to serve our clients’ business objectives.
We also work to address evolving procedural and regulatory challenges in the real-estate space, including state and municipal regulations affecting construction and tenancies, as well as various temporary and emergency regulations impacting owners, lenders, investors, borrowers, and tenants–including those imposed in response to natural disasters or the COVID-19 pandemic.
We have considerable experience representing a variety of real estate litigation clients, including:
- Commercial and residential construction companies
- Commercial, industrial, warehouse, condominium, and multi and single family residential developers
- Institutional and private investors, including family offices
- Landlords, tenants, lessors, and lessees
- Lenders of loans secured by real estate
- Local, regional, and national retail corporations
- Mortgage banking and consumer finance companies
- Owners ranging in size from sole proprietors to Fortune 500 companies
- Property managers
- Public utilities and governmental agencies
- Real estate brokers
- Real estate investment trusts (REITs) and commercial mortgage-backed securities trusts Real estate service providers
- Telecommunication infrastructure owners and developers
- Timeshare entities
- Title companies
Our team represents and counsels clients on a robust scope of matters. We represent landlords and tenants in connection with disputes and related litigation, ranging from the applicability of exclusivity clauses and other restrictive covenants to economic defaults, as well as actions for ejectment, forfeiture and repossession, security of tenure issues, contested rent reviews, and service charge disputes.
We represent both general partners and investors engaged in disputes involving securities law issues and alleged breaches of fiduciary duties. We have also settled or litigated numerous construction disputes on behalf of contractors, lenders, and owners.