Mr. Sovesky’s practice includes all aspects of intellectual property (IP) law relating to IP procurement, licensing, enforcement, management, valuation, and strategic counseling. Mr. Sovesky is experienced with representation of companies of varying sizes, including fortune 100 companies and fledgling startups. Examples of Mr. Sovesky’s experience include procurement and management of patent and trademark portfolios, strategic worldwide patent application filing counseling, technology roadmap counseling, freedom-to-operate analyses, clearance searches, patentability analysis, landscape analysis, due diligence analysis, infringement/non-infringement opinions, validity/invalidity opinions, and government subject invention determinations. Additionally, Mr. Sovesky has experience aligning IP strategies with business plans and investment timelines.
Mr. Sovesky’s technical concentration is in the chemical, material science, nuclear, mechanical, and biotech areas. Examples of his technical concentration include, thermal interface materials, polymers, foams, coatings, sealants, enzymology, hydrocarbon processing, catalysis, metallurgy, plasma chemistry, corrosion resistant surface treatments, batteries, battery manufacturing, zinc processing, pharmaceutical compositions, hypersonic test equipment, automotive components, fasteners, fastening devices, medical devices, heat exchangers, surgical procedures, disinfection/sterilization equipment, nuclear fuel compositions, nuclear power plant components, food production processes, alternative protein source compositions, utensils, 3D printing, manufacturing inspection equipment, signaling devices, and photovoltaic cells.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Sovesky has consulted for the oil and gas industry and has worked for a hydrocarbon processing company in the development of catalysis based reactors. Additionally, Mr. Sovesky has worked for a large corporation as a chemical engineer and as an intellectual property coordinator in the development of chemical/biological agent sensors and treatments for the remediation of chemical/biological agents. Additionally, Mr. Sovesky has worked for a boutique intellectual property law firm in the D.C. metro area.
- Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Chemical Society
- Duquesne Law Alumni Association
- Speaker, "How to Protect The Intellectual Property of Your Business?," Small Business Development Center Pennsylvania, 12 October 2021
- Moderator for a session on “Cutting-edge Technology and the Resources Available to Entrepreneurs” presented at the Omni William Penn Hotel, Pittsburgh, March 5, 2020.
- “Start-up, Spin-out, don’t burn out: Protecting your Intellectual Assets on a Shoe String Budget” presented at the AIChE Annual Meeting at the Hyatt Regency Orlando on Monday November 11, 2019.
- “The Importance of Intellectual Property (IP) for Startups: The Need to Develop an IP Strategy Early and Evaluate it Often” presented at K&L Gates, Pittsburgh, March 21, 2019
- “Helsinn v. Teva: The Meaning of ‘On Sale’ After the AIA” presented at K&L Gates, Pittsburgh, March 11, 2019
- “Preparing and Prosecuting U.S. Patent Applications” presented at Half Moon Seminars, Pittsburgh, February 26, 2019
- "Zoom bombing," Trade Secrets, November 2020