Sean Higgins is a partner in the firm's Boston office. He focuses his practice on consumer financial services litigation, where he represents banks, mortgage lenders, mortgage loan servicers, and automotive finance companies in consumer class actions, individual plaintiff lawsuits, and appeals in federal and state courts throughout the United States. Cases frequently involve challenges under federal statutes, including the federal Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Truth in Lending Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and the Fair Credit Reporting Act, as well as claims under state unfair and deceptive acts and practices statutes and common law.
In addition to his consumer financial services work, Sean regularly represents creditors in bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings. He has represented lenders, master servicers, and special servicers enforcing secured and unsecured loan obligations, and has been involved in a variety of complex commercial workouts and in- and out-of-court restructurings.
In addition to his work enforcing creditors' rights, Sean also has experience defending commercial and consumer lenders in litigation in a variety of courts and jurisdictions.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Sean was a partner at a national law firm.
- Named to Massachusetts Rising Stars for list for Business Litigation (2013)
- Named to Massachusetts Rising Stars list for Consumer Law (2016-2017)
- Member, 2020-2021 Board of Directors, Hill House (Boston, MA)
- Member, IADC Trial Academy Alumni (International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy)
- Former Board of Directors, General Counsel, Wake Up Narcolepsy, Inc.
- “Third Time Is the Charm: Eleventh Circuit Allows Creditor’s Use of Commercial Mail Vendor,” The Banking Law Journal, January 2023
- Co-author, "AT&T Mobility LLC v. Concepcion: Time to Consider a Motion to Compel Arbitration?," Business Law Today, 2011
- "Proving Copyright Infringement: Will Striking Similarity Make Your Case?," Suffolk Journal of Trial & Appellate Advocacy, Volume VIII, 2003