Walter Bunt’s primary role is as trial counsel for corporate clients. For over 30 years, he has represented natural gas and coal bed methane producers, pipeline companies, natural gas reservoir operators and utilities with their major energy litigation. He has litigated cases involving lease disputes, development obligations, eminent domain, royalty class actions, ejectment, quiet title, right of ways, land use, coal bed methane, natural gas reservoirs, salt-dome storage, well site explosions and fires, pipeline explosions, residential explosions and fires, public utility litigation, personal injury and commercial property damage matters. Walter has tried cases in numerous Federal District Courts, Pennsylvania Common Pleas Courts, other state’s trial courts and before administrative and arbitration tribunals. Walter teaches continuing legal education classes in the oil and gas and eminent domain areas.
Prior to practicing at K&L Gates, from 1976 to 1982, Walter served as executive assistant to the District Attorney for Allegheny County. His responsibilities included District Attorney office administrative activities as well as trying numerous felony/misdemeanor criminal jury and non-jury cases.
Walter also served as a part-time instructor at the University of Pittsburgh and has taught at other colleges and universities in western Pennsylvania.
- Received Martindale-Hubbell’s® AV® Preeminent™ peer review rating, the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards
- The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation
- “Who’s Who in Energy” published by The Pittsburgh Business Times (2014)
- Recognized as 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in “Energy, Environmental and Land Use Law” by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell™
- Allegheny County Bar Association (Civil and Public Utilities Sections)
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association (Civil and Public Utilities Sections)
- BTI Client Service All-Star - 2007
Grants and Scholarships
- von Humboldt Fellowship, Bonn University
- Fulbright Travel Grant
- Salzburg Seminars Fellowship, Salzburg, Austria