Yi Ying is a partner at the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. He is a member of the Antitrust, Competition, and Trade Regulation practice group. Yi’s practice focuses on antitrust investigations and litigation, merger clearance and other commercial litigation matters. Yi represents clients in investigations by various antitrust agencies, including experience before the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission and state agencies. He is also involved in cases in both federal and state courts.
In addition to defending clients in price-fixing cases brought by the US government agencies, Yi routinely represents clients in cartel investigations brought by antitrust enforcers in a variety of non-US jurisdictions, including, among others, the European Commission, the China State Administration of Market Regulation (SAMR), the Japan Fair Trade Commission (JFTC), and the Korea Fair Trade Commission (KFTC). His clients include both US and non-US companies, individual executives, as well as foreign sovereign entities.
Over a decade, Yi has successfully advocated or defended clients in complex criminal and civil antitrust and general commercial litigation. His litigant experience includes both settlement negotiations and trial appearances, reflecting his approach to dispositive motions, fact gathering, and trial counseling for clients before agencies and courts.
Yi also has extensive experience in guiding clients in merger filings before enforcers in other major jurisdictions, such as Europe, Mexico, Canada, China, Japan and Korea.
Yi's clients benefit from his exceptionally deep knowledge of corporate, export control and white collar compliance, based on his secondment to a multinational enterprise, where he designed and implemented a comprehensive compliance program.
Yi is also qualified as a Certified Information Privacy Professional for Europe (CIPP/E) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). He is committed to serving pro bono clients on behalf of the Firm.
Yi is a frequent speaker and has widely published articles on various legal topics. He served as a special writer for a Chinese national newspaper focusing antitrust and white-collar enforcement. Yi has also published news alerts and expert analyses on national legal news platforms and law journals, such as Law360, Concurrences (award nominated) and Washington Legal Foundation.
Yi obtained his civil law degree (conventional course in Japanese) from an top tier college in Tokyo, and, upon graduation, was recruited by one of the largest Japanese conglomerates as a management trainee at its headquarter. Prior to his law school study in the US, Yi also worked at a Magic Circle law firm, represented clients in several M&A and IPO deals. Prior to joining the firm, Yi served as a counsel for a leading international law firm, based in Washington, D.C and Shanghai.
- Member of International Association of Privacy Professionals (CIPP/E)
- Speaker, "Antitrust Investigation and litigation in the US" (in Mandarin), China Antitrust Summit, December 19, 2018, Beijing, China
- Presenter, "Export Control and US Sanctions" (in Mandarin), Hubei Province Bar Association, November 13, 2018, Wuhan, China
- Panelist, "Legal Service for One Belt, One Road" (in Mandarin), National Overseas Investment Forum, November 11, 2018, Wuhan, China
- Panelist in two sections, October 18, 2014, EU Competition Law Seminar
- "U.S. Economic Theories and Judicial Approaches on Price Signaling Cases"
- "Recent Developments on China's Merger Control Process"
- Organizer and presenter, "Recent Developments and Anticipation of Anti-Monopoly Law Enforcement," September 19, 2014, Shanghai, China
- Presenter, "Introduction to U.S. Antitrust Law" (in Mandarin), The Shanghai Bar Association, 11 September 2014, Shanghai, China
- Speaker, "The Impact of China's Newly Introduced Labor Contract Law on Foreign Investors" (in Japanese), The Japanese Institute of International Business Law, Inc., 31 July 2007, Tokyo, Japan
- "What To Expect From China's Antitrust Consolidation," Law360 and Concurrences (award nominated), April 5, 2018
- "Blocked Shipping Alliance Reveals Modest Improvement in Chinese Antitrust Review Transparency," Washington Legal Foundation Legal Backgrounder, August 22, 2014
- "A Look at 1st M&A Deals Under China's New Review Process," Law360, August 8, 2014