Alexis Crawford Douglas concentrates her practice in the area of intellectual property, and handles a range of counseling, transactional, and litigation matters related to trademarks, domain names, social media, and copyrights.
Alexis provides strategic management of global trademark portfolios for clients ranging from multi-national to start-up companies in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, diagnostics and medical devices, consumer products, marketing and advertising, energy, apparel, food and beverage, finance, and technology. Alexis assists clients with clearance, prosecution, protection, and enforcement of trademarks.
Alexis advises clients in trademark and copyright disputes, including representing clients in litigation matters in various federal courts and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She counsels clients in dealing with cybersquatting and online infringement matters, including domain name disputes pursuant to the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP) and the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA), and website and social media takedowns involving the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
Alexis also counsels clients on intellectual property issues in complex commercial transactions, and provides strategic advice on licensing, assignment, and consent agreements related to intellectual property.
Alexis previously worked as an intellectual property intern for an American entertainment company, focused in filmed entertainment. She also served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Morton Denlow of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Prior to her legal career, Alexis worked at a business intelligence solutions company, where she managed a network of educational websites, and wrote and edited daily news briefs on niche industries for corporate clients. Alexis also owned and managed her own writing, editing, and consulting company.
- Selected for Notable Women in the Law, Crain's Chicago Business, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Listed in the “Ones to Watch” section, Best Lawyers®, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Illinois Rising Star in Intellectual Property, Super Lawyers®, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Board of Managers for The Chicago Bar Association
- The Richard Linn American Inn of Court
- International Trademark Association, Internet Committee
- NIJC Pro Bono Asylum Attorney Program
- Board of Directors for the Skokie Valley Symphony Orchestra (2014-2015)
- Adjunct Professor and co-founder of The John Marshall Law School’s Trademark Clinic (2014-2015)
- Mentor, "The Garage," a program empowering student entrepreneurs, Northwestern University, 17 November 2021
- Host Redefining Work-Life Integration in a Post-COVID World as Co-Chair of The Chicago Bar Association's Women's History Month programming, 15 March 2021
- Panelist for the American Bar Association’s Fashion Law Round Table, 28 January 2021
- Panelist on Associate Tips and Tricks Panel for The Chicago Bar Association's Young Lawyers Section, 23 July 2020
- Interview on How to Make Partner for The Chicago Bar Association's Young Lawyers Section, 5 May 2020
- Panelist for Navigating Motherhood and Your Legal Career, The Chicago Bar Association's 2nd Annual Working Women's Legal Summit, 6 March 2020. Chair of The Chicago Bar Association's Women's History Month programming, including the Summit
- Hosted a panel and assisted with organization of The Chicago Bar Association's first Working Women's Legal Summit, 8 March 2019
- Moderated Trademark and Copyright Enforcement at the ITC and Customs presentation for The Richard Linn Inn American Inn of Court, 15 November 2018
- Moderated ABA Annual Meeting panel on If the Shoe Fits: What Footwear Cases Teach Us About IP Protection & Enforcement, 3 August 2018
- Panelist at Chicago Bar Association's Seminar for November 2016 New Admittees to the Illinois Bar on Career Development, 28 February 2018
- Presented on handling unlawful content on social media at General Counsel University: Like This: How to Assess & Manage Your Social Media Risk, October 2017
- Moderated Developing Business by Working in the Community for the Chicago Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section L.E.A.D. for Large Law Firms Committee, 7 November 2016
- Panelist and assisted with presentation preparation for Willfulness: The Ship Has Sailed on Seagate with pupilage group for The Richard Linn Inn of Court, 13 October 2016
- Emceed final round of Launch Competition at Techweek Chicago 2016
- Moderated Developing a Coveted Expertise for the Chicago Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section L.E.A.D. for Large Law Firms Committee, 7 April 2016
- Participated in Intellectual Property Law Society’s IP practice panel at Northwestern University School of Law, 2 March 2016
- Panelist at Chicago-Kent Gastro IP Symposium discussing intellectual property issues for craft brewers, 10 November 2015
- Presented Tips For Tweets and Engaging Online: Navigating the Legal Issues on Social Media Platforms at Chicago Bar Association’s Creative Arts committee meeting, 15 September 2015
- Presented Think Before You Tweet with K&L Gates partner Ben Weed at Techweek Chicago 2015
- Routinely provides presentations on trademark, copyright, social media and advertising guidelines to large and small companies in an accessible way to guide employees’ behavior and emphasize importance of IP protection
- Annually teaches foreign trademark prosecution program to new associates at K&L Gates