Christiane Schweizer is of counsel in the firm’s Berlin office. She has been active in the area of intellectual property since 2006. She focuses on patent prosecution, opposition and appeal proceedings, patent invalidation, and patent litigation. She also provides patentability, validity, freedom-to-operate, and infringement opinions and is involved in nullity and infringement proceedings. Christiane assists international companies with global patent prosecution strategies and portfolio developments. She is particularly experienced in creating and defending Supplementary Protection Certificates (SPC) covering the majority of European jurisdictions.
As a certified pharmacist, Christiane's technical experience is in chemistry, pharmaceuticals, and life sciences, particularly pharmaceutical technology, organic and inorganic chemistry, pharmacology, medical devices, and products.
She has extensive knowledge in handling patent portfolios in the fields of cosmetics, food supplements, and medical devices, for instance transdermal therapeutic systems, for both originators and generic pharmaceutical companies.
Prior to joining K&L Gates in October 2017, Christiane worked at another renowned international law firm since 2011. Prior to this, she was a patent attorney in the patent department of a multinational pharmaceutical company in Austria, which specializes in generics in the field of antibiotics and oncology.
- Member of the Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office (epi)
- Member of the German Patent Bar Association
- Member of the German Bar Association for Certified Pharmacists
- Member of the German Association of Intellectual Property Experts (VPP)
- Board member of the German Group of Union IP
- “Biosimilars and Patent Law,” presented to Meeting of Task Force Pro Biosimilars, April 12, 2018
- German Federal Office for Plant Varieties (BSA) and Community Plant Variety Office (CPVO)
- International Bureau of WIPO (IB)
- Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM, European Community Trademarks and Designs)
- "Envipco and DPG settle dispute over bottle deposit system," JUVE Patent, 4 March 2021