James Shimota is a partner at the firm’s Chicago office. He is first chair litigator and a member of the IP litigation practice group.
Prior to joining the firm, James served as a partner at an international corporate law firm where he concentrated in post-issuance patent practice. He has worked with a myriad of technologies including medical devices, automotive safety systems, LED lighting, financial services products, multiple aspects of cellular and smartphone technology, semiconductors including memory products, fiber optic amplifiers, DNA arrays, HIV drugs, alkaline batteries, and more. He also has extensive experience before judges and juries in federal courts across the country, as well as the United States International Trade Commission and arbitration panels.
- Managed global licensing campaign for technology company including acting as lead counsel in litigation
- Obtained ruling of infringement and validity on behalf of a Fortune 50 company against a Fortune 50 rival
- Secured defense verdict for medical device manufacturer in three week jury trial in District of Massachusetts
- Won ruling of no liability in International Arbitration patent infringement case involving large Japanese semiconductor manufacturer
- Consistently assist startups in developing early patent strategy for later licensing
- Listed as a leader in Illinois Patent Litigation in IAM Patent 1000, (2021-present)