John Magnin is a partner with over 30 years’ experience in international arbitration, commercial litigation and other forms of complex dispute resolution, often with a significant international dimension. Much of his time is spent advising clients on mitigating risk, and avoiding or preparing for litigation or arbitration.
John's experience includes: cross-border joint-venture disputes; acting for, and responding to activist investors; investment and transaction-related claims; boardroom disputes; proceedings under Companies, Insolvency and Financial Services legislation; investment, banking and financial services disputes; gas, especially LNG, and a variety of trading disputes; agency and distribution disputes; and sport and media related matters.
Chambers 2008: "excellent judgment"
Chambers 2009: "business-like and practical"
Legal 500 2010: highlights "the sheer quality and depth of his advice"
Legal 500 2011: "strategically brilliant"
GAR 100 (5th Ed.): "a first-rate tactician"
Chambers 2014: "very good at mapping out the course and planning the litigation"
Legal 500 2015: “great strategic vision”
Legal 500 2017: “a strong leader”, and “knows when to get his hands dirty on clients’ behalf”
Chambers 2017: “able to provide consistent advice on delicate or tough matters”
GAR 100 (12th Ed): did an “excellent job” in a case that was “key to the [client’s] business”
Legal 500 2020: “exceptionally easy to work with and pragmatic”
GAR 100 (13th Ed): “excellent, accurate and responsive” and “understand[s] the client, work[s] endlessly to satisfy their needs and come up with great suggestions”
- Head of Litigation, Nicholson Graham & Jones (2002 - 2004)
- Partnership Board, Nicholson Graham & Jones (2002 - 2004)
- Money Laundering Reporting Officer, London (1994 - 2014)
- Management Committee, K&L Gates (2005 - 2016)
- Global co-Practice Area Leader for Dispute Resolution and Litigation, K&L Gates (2005 - present)
- “Brexit, MiFID II, MiFIR and Cross-Border Dispute Resolution,” 19 August 2016
- “Taming Price Review Clauses: Lessons from the Transactional and Arbitration Battlefields,” LNG18, April 2016