Stewart Mesher is a partner in the firm's Austin office. He focuses on litigation and transactions for all forms of intellectual property (IP), portfolio management and counseling related to patents, copyrights, unfair competition, and Internet domain name rights, as well as trademark prosecution and TTAB proceedings. Before joining the firm. Stewart was the chair of an IP boutique’s litigation practice group. Stewart was also in-house counsel at an American multinational semiconductor company based in Santa Clara, California - where he advised the corporate vice-president on desktop and server processor businesses, as well as its platform engineering team, and supported the client's intellectual property litigation and licensing activities.
Stewart graduated from the University of Washington with a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, he then went on to Seattle University to complete a Master of Business Administration in finance and marketing. He earned his Doctor of Jurisprudence in international law and intellectual property at Vanderbilt University Law School and completed the ABOTA National Trial College at Harvard Law School.
Stewart is a member of the State Bar of Texas and the Washington State Bar. He is admitted to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office, the US District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas, the US District Court for the Western District of Washington, the US District Court for the District of Colorado, and the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Stewart has been AV Preeminent Rated as an attorney by Martindale-Hubbell since 2010, selected for inclusion on the Texas Super Lawyers list since 2012 (and on their Rising Stars list before that), listed as one of Managing Intellectual Property magazine's IP Stars since 2013, and has been recognized by the Best Lawyers in America® starting in 2018. He was recently listed in IAM Strategy 300: The World’s Leading IP Strategists, 2020 edition. He is also an active member of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and is a member of INTA's Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee for the 2020-2021 term.
Stewart is also a founding faculty member of the firm’s mini-MBA program, an innovative professional development training program designed to orient associates to key business concepts that are integral to our clients’ business success.
Prior to joining the firm, Stewart served as a principal at an intellectual property law firm where he focused his practice on litigation and transactions for all forms of intellectual property, portfolio management and counseling related to patents, copyrights, unfair competition, and internet domain name rights, as well as trademark prosecution and TTAB proceedings.
- Listed in the World's Leading Trademark Professionals by World Trademark Review 1000, 2022-2023
- Recognized by The Legal 500 United States as a Recommended Lawyer for Intellectual Property, Trademarks: Non-Contentious (Including Prosecution, Portfolio Management And Licensing), 2023
- Appointed to the INTA's Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, 2022-2023
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America® for Litigation - Intellectual Property and Litigation - Patent, 2018-2024
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America® for Patent Law, 2023-2024
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America® for Trademark Law, 2024
- Listed as a IAM Strategy 300 Global Leader, US, Texas, 2021
- Recognized in IAM Strategy 300 Global Leader, Patent Strategy, 2021
- Listed in IAM Strategy 300: The World’s Leading IP Strategists, 2020 and 2021
- AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell since 2010
- Named to the Texas Super Lawyers list since 2012
- Managing Intellectual Property magazine's IP Star since 2013