Abigail Hemnes is a partner in the firm’s Asset Management and Investment Funds practice group. Abigail focuses her practice on representing registered investment companies and their boards of directors on all matters of regulation, registration and compliance; including new product launches, disclosure matters, and proxy issues, as well as internal and external reorganizations. She has experience representing registered investment companies before the Securities and Exchange Commission on matters relating to registration statements, proxy statements and other filings. She has further experience working with all types of registered fund structures, including funds of funds, manager of managers structures, and funds targeted to investors with certain expected retirement dates.
During law school, Abigail served as a legal intern to the Honorable Nancy Gertner and interned in the general counsel's office of a Massachusetts-based pharmaceutical company. Prior to joining K&L Gates, Abigail worked in Mauritius as a law clerk in a management company providing corporate services to offshore and international companies. Abigail was a summer associate at K&L Gates in 2008.
- Certified Legal Project Manager (LawVision)
- In 2019, Abigail Hemnes was awarded “Rising Star” at the 26th Mutual Funds Industry Awards sponsored by Fund Industry Intelligence and Fund Director Intelligence. The “Rising Stars” were selected based on their accomplishments and contributions to the mutual fund industry in the areas of client service and product innovation that makes them stand out among their peers and position them as future leaders.
- Member, Subcommittee on Investment Companies and Investment Advisers, Committee on Federal Regulation of Securities, Business Law Section, American Bar Association
- “What To Know About SEC Shareholder Disclosure Reforms,” Law360, 28 October 2022
- "Considerations When Drafting an ESG 80% Policy," IAA Today (Investment Adviser Association), 14 February 2022