Alan Berkeley now devotes much of his professional time to working with management, boards of directors, and public and privately-held companies on sensitive corporate and securities regulatory matters. These include corporate governance developments, structural planning, regulatory compliance inquiries and initiatives, transactional events, and SEC enforcement investigations. He has also handled and led teams for mergers and acquisitions, financings, and commercial transactions for both large and small, public and privately-held clients. Alan practiced in these fields in the firm’s London and São Paulo offices and is registered as a foreign legal consultant in Brazil.
Alan has more than 50 years of experience in corporate and securities law. He is extensively involved in professional and academic activities, including many years as member of the adjunct faculty at Georgetown University and George Washington University law schools, as a contributor to several academic treatises and practical publications, and as a frequent and well-recognized speaker on professional and business education programs. Alan has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the category of Corporate Law from 2001 to 2021.
- Elected as a Member of the American Law Institute, 1988
- Co-Chair, ALI CLE Course, and Course Materials, “Regulation D and Private Placements” (1980’s - to date)
- Co-Chair, ALI CLE Course, and Course Materials, “Fundamentals of Securities Law” (1990’s -2013)
- External Ph.D. Examiner, School of Law, Trinity College Dublin (2010 - 2012)
- Securities Registration Subcommittee of the Business Law Section, American Bar Association (Chair; 2000-2003)
- NASD Legal Advisory Board (Chair; 1999-2001)
- Advisory Committee, Committee on Federal Regulation of Securities of the Business Law Section, American Bar Association (Member; 2003-)
- George Washington University School of Law, Former Adjunct Faculty
- Georgetown University Law Center, Former Adjunct Faculty
- District of Columbia Bar, Corporate Securities Committee (Chair; 1978-1980)
- Federal Bar Association, Securities Committee (Chair; 1988-1990)
- General Counsel, Partners of the Americas, Inc. and Partners of the Americas Foundation
- "Sample Corporate Policy on Insider Trading," The Practical Law Company, February 2015
- "Summary Memorandum on Insider Trading," The Practical Law Company, February 2015